• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

18+ foot great white shark seen close to shore

pilot2fly

Recently, I read in the local newspaper that a 18+ foot great white shark was spotted around 20 miles off the coast right near where we live. I think some guys tried to catch him, but the shark left the area rather quickly. We don't get a lot of great whites here and the waters aren't warm enough for them in the winter.

Note, there is some profanity.

leyash

WOW! I don't even have any idea what I would do if I was in that situation, that close to a shark. That sucker is HUGE!

pilot2fly

They look like they're going to need a bigger boat. It was a rather small boat they were in. That shark could have easily sunk it.

They have some serious balls for even thinking about trying to catch that thing. I'm not sure if I'd call it brave or stupid though. I mean I've seen catfish much smaller than that have the power to practically yank people right off their boats. So trying to catch an 18+ foot shark that probably outweighs you 3-4 times over....not a good idea.

I'm not sure I'd be amused. I'd have been scared. I know they say the Jaws movies make sharks seem worse than they really are. But still, just because they exaggerate in the movies doesn't mean there isn't some truth to how vicious a shark can be.

pilot2fly

I agree, I'd have pooped myself. Look how small their boat is. If the shark was hungry enough, he could have easily flipped it over and they'd all be out of luck. Of course, he isn't a man eater, but once he bites one person the smell of blood will attract other sharks.

Jatelo2

I thought sharks were dangerous and shouldn't even be approached. I can now see that one's potentials are just limited by his fears...A huge fish this is. Any news of it being spotted somewhere else?

Wow! I am not amused with that shark! I am amused what must made this guys think about of riding that small boat and tried to capture that fish! Didn't they realize that they are riding in a small boat and that shard could have easily bumped them from below and find their boat upside down on the shark's territory?

Sea81

That is amazing video! Did you say where it was? North Carolina? Whereabouts? I'm going to be in Charleston, SC this weekend and I so hope I don't run into that! ;-)

Esperahol

I'm not sure I'd be amused. I'd have been scared. I know they say the Jaws movies make sharks seem worse than they really are. But still, just because they exaggerate in the movies doesn't mean there isn't some truth to how vicious a shark can be.

A shark is like a snake in terms of how generally in danger you are. Some sharks are maneaters, just as some snakes will attack without provocation. However, generally speaking you have nothing to offer them blood or no. I am however biased as I have worked with sharks before and love the feel of their skin. The same is true of snakes, I really do like them and actually have several pet ball pythons.

blackout23

That is insane! I lived in Hawaii for three months and sharks of a smaller size would come up and eat the fish guts that restaurants would throw into the ocean at the end of the day. That was scary enough, I could only imagine seeing one as large as this. I would probably move.

That is definitely a scary shark, and I would not have wanted to be that close to it either, and certainly not wanted to catch one under any circumstances. And what on earth would you do with one after you caught it ? I think I want to fish that I can take home and eat afterwards, not one that might want to have me for dinner !