• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

Anyone fished in England?

bazzie89

Hi, I feel a bit of an intruder here as, although I no longer live there, I am British and most of my fishing was done there. Reading your posts I find a lot of the fish names etc a bit alien. Not sure for instance if what we in England term as Bass is the same as your Bass? What about things like Flounders, Plaice, Bullheads, Whiting, Dover Sole? Are these familiar with you? I guess Pollack, Cod and Mackerel are the same? Any of you fished in England?
Did you enjoy it?

CongerKing

Im from the Uk and I've fished a lot of freshwater venues and also lot of south coast cod fishing from dungeness (sadly not so prolific these days). Also done some boat fishing in Wales and I hope to get more done soon if we ever get any decent weather.

cyberpuppet

I live in the south west UK - unfortunately not right close to the shore (although I do plan on changing that in the future). I most often fish from Lyme Regis but have been out on a friends boat from West Bay a couple of times. I love the mackerel at Lyme - the water boils when they come in and you can look down and see them chasing the bait fish if you are taking a breather from catching them.