• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

Carp Attack

Karen May Jones

I guess you could say they're seriously disturbed carp fish. I hope they weren't being shredded to smitherines. I saw this video a few months ago and thought I would share it here. It's just a nice fun (funny) ride through a drainage ditch. Now, if I can get this to embed, you can laugh along with me. It's looks almost unreal as the fish are making way...
lol, when the young boy says OWW! It kind of worried me, but he looks good to go :)

sillylucy

Wow! Thanks for sharing this Karen! They are just jumping out of that water. I would be frightened. It looks like the boys are having fun, but I would be screaming and scared that they would land on my head. I know my finance would be out there with his net! :)

Esperahol

I hope not lucy, those idiot things aren't especially edible... they also hurt when they smack you in the face. I don't like them.

BigBigFan

- The boat had batteries passing electricity into the water
- The fish were expecting to be fed by hand
- The motor spooked them and they had nowhere to swim away

It has to be one of those three reasons as to why they are jumping but what I want to know is where is this little man made channel? And why does it exist? If its farmland drainage those fish need to be destroyed before they take the poison out of the channel and into the stomachs of bigger animals.

Esperahol

- The boat had batteries passing electricity into the water
- The fish were expecting to be fed by hand
- The motor spooked them and they had nowhere to swim away

It has to be one of those three reasons as to why they are jumping but what I want to know is where is this little man made channel? And why does it exist? If its farmland drainage those fish need to be destroyed before they take the poison out of the channel and into the stomachs of bigger animals.

Actually these fish are a kind of junk carp known for jumping about like that. That is also the reason they need to be destroyed as they breed prolifically and eat up all the food from legitimate species local to the area.

B

bigal3

I used to live in the state of Kansas, USA and there is an abundance of carp and I have observed them jump but NEVER like that! However I do not agree carp are a junk fish. In America carp is eaten and although it is quite bony it is a tasty fish when prepared correctly. :)

Oh my goodness ! Thank you for sharing that video. I have never seen so many fish jumping like that, and didn't think carp did that kind of thing. I used to live in Missouri for a while, and had catfish ponds out back, and one had a big old carp in it, but he mostly just laid around close to the shore, and didn't move much. This must be a much more active species of carp. They had a boatload of them,too, so I was wondering if they took them home and ate them for dinner ? Do you know where that video was taken, by any chance ?

B

bigal3

Carp when prepared properly is a very tasty slightly sweet fish. Granted they are considered by some to be "junk" fish because of their bones and but I can assure you they are very edible and very tasty. You can look up a recipe for "Carp croquets" which are much like "Salmon croquets". Try it you will not be disappointed I think.:)

snake3scape

If you want to experience this for yourself you should come fish with me around Lake Michigan! These used to be amazingly common, even one of my buddies had a bruise on his arm from being hit by one. The thing is that they weren't just carp, they were an invasive breed called 'Asian Carp.' If you live and fish in the Midwest then you should know about them. They fly around all the time and the government has created electric fences in the water to make sure they don't reach the Mississippi. Scary stuff, but funny to watch!

B

bigal3

If you want to experience this for yourself you should come fish with me around Lake Michigan! These used to be amazingly common, even one of my buddies had a bruise on his arm from being hit by one. The thing is that they weren't just carp, they were an invasive breed called 'Asian Carp.' If you live and fish in the Midwest then you should know about them. They fly around all the time and the government has created electric fences in the water to make sure they don't reach the Mississippi. Scary stuff, but funny to watch!
I seem to remember something about them jumping into boats and in some cases injurying some people. I too have seen them jump and there actually have been some close calls but fortunately it wasn't serious. I would really not want to be hit by one of those jumping fish. They have very HARD heads!(n)