• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

Did you ever get sea sick?

bazzie89

We used to go out in 30 / 40 footers in end December , January to try and catch the incoming Cod many years ago, about 12 mile off, past the Isle of Wight, Jeez, felt like a storm everytime we went. I remember feeling so ill that I was seriously considering jumping overboard and swimming for shore, only 12 miles away in icy waters, seems a rational kind of thing to do!
Anyone who gets sea sickness badly will know what I mean!

I went out with my brother-in-law, fishing in his small boat once years ago. We were out on Puget Sound, and it was a hot summer day. The boat was bouncing and swaying, and I was starting to get sunstroke as well. I love fishing, but by the time we all were done fishing and back to shore, I was so sick and dizzy that I could not even walk straight ! My daughter, Robin, made fun of me for months afterward, mimicking the swaying boat,and my miserable expression.
That was my last trip out on the boat with George. I had fun, in spite of being sick, but not enough to try it again. Shore fishing for me, or on a nice calm lake instead .

r. zimm

Wow, that would ruin anyones' day fishing for sure. I do not seem to have that problem but I have never been in really rough seas for a llong period of time. guess most of us would get seasick if the conditions are bad enough.

Jellyfish

No, I don't. Since my childhood I drove on boats at all kinds of occasions and I always did quite well there. But I'm glad we don't have to fish in the sky because it's totally different with planes to me.

Esperahol

Initially I did get really sea sick, but after a while it just sort of abated. I don't know if I just needed time adjust or what, but at this point it really isn't an issue for me. There are however medications for this so if you really want to boat fish you can see a doctor or pharmacist and look into that.

nhsososo4

My first time on a boat on our trip to Robbin Island, Simonstown from Waterfront i got so sick. Three minutes into the journey i was very sick and started vomiting, the guards told me it was normal as most people always go through that but i was really in bad state. The other one went as far as saying the more i go on them i will eventually get used to it.

Well i must say it has been 15 years since my first boat trip but i still vomit, though not as bad as initially but it is never just a smooth ride and because of that i try to avoid the whole going on a boat trip thing. Sad part now is that my husband loves it, he is so in love with nature and the free feeling you get from being in the sea, that putting me in a very difficult situation.

Well all in all though i still get sick, i just go for peace sake and making my husband happy of course.

keepitreel

After the first time I went fishing I thought I was one of the fortunate ones who DIDN'T get seasick, but unfortunately on the following trip I found out otherwise. I don't even know what it was specifically, because I was on the boat all of 5 minutes when they stopped to get bait and the smell of fish totally made me feel sick and I thought, oh no. I probably should have gotten off then, but was thinking it would pass. I tried fishing for maybe half an hour once we got out into deeper waters, but couldn't handle it. I spent practically the whole boat ride sleeping. It was the neverending ride. It took me another 3 or 4 years to get back on a boat to do deep sea fishing again. Now I try to be smart and take one of those seasickness pills beforehand.

JoshSmith100

Ive never really got sea sick, its probably because ive been around boats my whole life. During the summer I go fishing pretty much every day and dont need to ever take any medicine.

Arthnel

I've been sea sick just once and that was early in my fishing days. We got or gear together and on our way decided to stock up on food and other supplies we would need. I didn't eat from home and I know how a day at the beach can leave you quite hungry so I decided to eat first. burger, fries and soda - go large. It was not a good decision at all as my stomach heaved everytime the smallest wave rocked the boat. I would never do that day again.