• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

Did you ever lose your rod to a fish?

bazzie89

We were fishing up at these lakes the other year and, looking down on the one lake, we saw something kind of gliding of across the surface, we then realised it was some guys rod, tugged of his rodstand by a fish before he could grab it. Have to say it was quite funny to watch but would be a tad peed off if it happened to me, would feel a bit stupid too!
Ever happened to you?

r. zimm

I have had a fiberglass rod break, but was able to land the fish anyway. The rod broke about 10 inches from the tip so I ended up redoing the guides (I used to wrap my rods myself) and kept on using it. I think I still have it as a matter of fact.

NickJ

Nope, never. I've lost my fair share of hooks to a few fishes though. But rods? Never. I'd be embarrassed if I ever did.:D

B

bigal3

We were fishing up at these lakes the other year and, looking down on the one lake, we saw something kind of gliding of across the surface, we then realised it was some guys rod, tugged of his rodstand by a fish before he could grab it. Have to say it was quite funny to watch but would be a tad peed off if it happened to me, would feel a bit stupid too!
Ever happened to you?
What a coindence! That very thing happened when I was at my favorite fishing hole. I left the rod for only a moment when I heard the drag singing. I turned around in time to see my rod jump out of the holder and streak toward the water. Fortunately youth was an advantage and I dove and caught it just as it went into the water. I set the hook and was pleased the fish was still there. It was a six pound large mouth bass.

Wow, Bigal, that was a lucky save of your pole and line, and great that you were still able to get your fish landed !
I have never lost my pole into the water, but that did happen once to my husband. He had the pole in a stand, and as soon as he went to the tackle box to look for something the pole started bobbing. It went into the water just as he got back, and he got the pole but lost the fish.

Esperahol

Nah, but I have taken quite a few unintentional swims. Stupid monstrously strong fish... and sleep dampened reflexes.

Wow, Esperahol , you must have been fishing where there were some really large fish , to have them just pull you into the water and drag you off like that ! Were you fishing in the ocean when it happened, or just a lake that had monster catfish or some other really large fish ?
I have never caught anything that was anywhere near large enough to pull me into the water. I am not sure that I would still think that I was having fun at that point !

Esperahol

I like to fish in the open water and I like to fish in very large lakes as well as at the mouths of rivers so... it's a pretty good thing I'm rather heavy and a good swimmer. Also tuna are much bigger than you'd think... delicious, but almost hilariously big. Seriously though half the problem is that I'm not losing my rod - it's been in the family for ages you see. So if it comes down to either letting go or having it snap - I'll just take a swim.

Good for you ! That fishing pole must have a lot of sentimental value. I guess if a large tuna was going to pull me into the ocean, I would really have to love that fishing pole to let myself be dragged in.
I swim, but don't think I want to be out in the ocean somewhere doing it. The tuna sounds awesome though ! I have on,y ever as the cheap stuff that comes in cans, and I think that catching one and eating it would be just a totally awesome thing to do. Even if you had to be out here risking becoming a sharks dinner to do it. Brave you !

One time, my whole fishing pole got pulled into the water and at the time I thought that it was a whale or something huge. Actually, it was something huge. I learned that it was a shark and looking at the camera that we had under the boat, I learned that one of the small fishes that was biting down on my bait had been swallowed by a shark. The bait and the string was inside of the shark's belly and I lost my fishing pole.

I was pretty surprised to see this because normally the sharks out there do not swim that close to the shore.