• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

Does your boat have a fish finder?

r. zimm

Most folks have at least a GPS these days and a marine handheld radio but how about the graphic fish Finder/Bottom Grapher?

I have fished on boats with them and it was very cool to be able to see (somewhat) into the depths of the ocean. You could even see schools of fish hanging around bottom structures.

B

bigal3

I was the proud owner of a seventeen foot bass boat that I equipped with an early version of fish finder. It for its time was state of the art technology. It actually did find fish. Making them bite was another story though.

NickJ

Nah. I wouldn't use a fish finder. I like the surprise of catching fish. Knowing where they are already cheapens the experience.

B

bigal3

Nah. I wouldn't use a fish finder. I like the surprise of catching fish. Knowing where they are already cheapens the experience.
I must disagree with that premise. I had a fish finder on my boat but it never hooked a fish. Yes, it finds them but it does not make them BITE! There have been many a time the fish finder showed fish under my boat and regardless of what bait or lure I used they just did not bite. All the fish finder did was show me the fish but it will NOT make them take the hook.

Jellyfish

No, that kills all the fun. Fishing is something that reminds us men that we're actually are hunters. It may be more effective with technical stuff but where's the challenge there? It's also about being successful with your own abilities and strength.

I used to have a boat and an older fish finder , and I thought it was wonderful ! I loved seeing the fish swimming around below the boat. It sure didn't spoil any of the fun for me. I don't see that using the fish finder is much different than when you are in clear water, and can actually see the fish in the water. This just allows you to see in darker water, and also in deeper water.
It sure didn't mean those fish were going to bite, but at least we knew there were some fish in that area, and also about how far down that they were, so we could tell how much line to put out to get close to their depth.
I had more fun than watching TV looking at that fish finder, and seeing the fish on the display.

Esperahol

Nah. The point is to set up the line, and then take a lovely nap. Fishing is a time to relax, until you nearly have a heart attack pulling in whatever makes it on to the hook.

I used to do that when I would take along a bag of sunflower seeds, and whatever book I was reading, and then just throw the line, usually with a bobber to watch it easier, and relaxed with my book until the bobber started sailing around or bobbing a little.
But when I was out trolling for Bluebacks with the fish finder, then I loved to watch it, and never mind the book and sunflower seeds .

Arthnel

I think fish finders do very good stuff for people into commercial fishing. These guys put lots into fuel and supplies to help make profit for the fish they bring back to markets. For casual fishing activities no GPS nor fish finder is needed. That will now take away the real fun of getting out there and fishing the real way.