• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

Fishing stories

pilot2fly

Do you have any fishing stories from your boat? My family owns a 23 foot Seafox 230 and we go fishing a few times a year in the ocean. I live in coastal North Carolina, so we do a lot of boating and whatnot.

One time, we were fishing on a reef 2.5 miles off Wrightsville Beach. The reef is a great place to do some bottom fishing. It's made up of old boxcars that were dumped to create the reef. One time, I got a very big tug on the line and almost couldn't control it. At the time, the lines we had were not very strong and it snapped. I made the mistake of trying to fight it too quickly. A few minutes later, I saw a five foot long sand tiger shark come up with our hook in its mouth. What a disappointment!

leyash

The best fishing story I've got, is that we took about 6 of us on a fishing trip. There was one guy there that had never been sea fishing before.

He ended up catching EVERY SINGLE ONE of the fish. No one else caught any! We spent so much time helping him get ready and learning, that we didn't catch anything, lol.

pilot2fly

Haha nice! Well, not for you, but it happens. It happened to me a few times too. We once heard this guy during a king mackerel tournament talking on the radio saying that every time he opened a bottle of beer he caught a king.

Jatelo2

Do you have any fishing stories from your boat? My family owns a 23 foot Seafox 230 and we go fishing a few times a year in the ocean. I live in coastal North Carolina, so we do a lot of boating and whatnot.

One time, we were fishing on a reef 2.5 miles off Wrightsville Beach. The reef is a great place to do some bottom fishing. It's made up of old boxcars that were dumped to create the reef. One time, I got a very big tug on the line and almost couldn't control it. At the time, the lines we had were not very strong and it snapped. I made the mistake of trying to fight it too quickly. A few minutes later, I saw a five foot long sand tiger shark come up with our hook in its mouth. What a disappointment!

Ok, what next my friend, you can't just leave me in suspense here...I would love to know about your battle with the tiger shark. I, of course know that it wasn't fatal since you are narrating the story :D

leyash

Haha nice! Well, not for you, but it happens. It happened to me a few times too. We once heard this guy during a king mackerel tournament talking on the radio saying that every time he opened a bottle of beer he caught a king.

I'm thinking I'd be pretty wasted by the end of that adventure, lol.

Jatelo2

So if this friend caught about 100 kings how many bottles did he open. I think it just opening the bottle and not using the contents, lol

Jatelo2

He wasn't a friend. We just heard him over the radio when we were close by. I don't know how many he caught.

I get it! This was kind of a radio talks how or interview, right? A funny story anyway and the more the catch the more drunk I suppose the fisherman was...

Sea81

This is totally not a "real" fishing story, but it's kind of funny I think. I used to LOVE to fish when I was a kid, but I NEVER caught anything. So, one year, my family and I were at the ocean, and I decided I was going to buy a net. This way I'd be sure to catch something! I got the net out to the beach, swept it out into the water and ended up with a bunch of tiny fish in it. I saw those little things squirming around and I flipped out! As I said, I loved to fish but had never actually caught one, so I didn't know what to do! I three the net with the fish in it back into the water and ran for my life. Obviously, my thoughts on catching fish have changed over the years, but my parents always joke to everyone that I wasn't always so excited to get into the water and fish.

leyash

LOL That sounds like me when I was a kid. I hated anything that lived in the water, and I was SCARED of fish. I got finned by a perch one time, and I was scarred forever, lol.

LOL That sounds like me when I was a kid. I hated anything that lived in the water, and I was SCARED of fish. I got finned by a perch one time, and I was scarred forever, lol.

I was afraid in fihses before too because I could not touch them. I used to wonder why I could touch dogs and they don;t mind but whenever I try to touch the fishes that my dad caught, they always have this violent reactions like flipping their body all around so I was really afraid. That fear diminished when I learned about fishes in Kinder Garten :D

sillylucy

This is totally not a "real" fishing story, but it's kind of funny I think. I used to LOVE to fish when I was a kid, but I NEVER caught anything. So, one year, my family and I were at the ocean, and I decided I was going to buy a net. This way I'd be sure to catch something! I got the net out to the beach, swept it out into the water and ended up with a bunch of tiny fish in it. I saw those little things squirming around and I flipped out! As I said, I loved to fish but had never actually caught one, so I didn't know what to do! I three the net with the fish in it back into the water and ran for my life. Obviously, my thoughts on catching fish have changed over the years, but my parents always joke to everyone that I wasn't always so excited to get into the water and fish.

That is too funny! I did this in when I once reeled in a 2 lb bass at our family lake house. I was so freaked out by it and I didn't want to touch it so I was swinging it all around on the line. Well, the line snapped and the fish was hopping all over the shore. It almost escaped and went back into the water. Luckily my stepdad saw me and ran over and picked it up. He kept telling everyone how I almost lost his dinner.

B

bigal3

This title brings to mind when I was about fifteen years out with my uncle. We were fishing for anything that would bite that day. The reservoir we were fishing at was famous for some large channel catfish. That day we were using fresh chicken liver for bait on medium spinning rigs. I had twenty pound test line on my reel. After what seemed forever I got a nibble. Catfish do not always take the bait right away so the waiting game was on. Suddenly the reel started screaming as line was going out. I set the hook and the fight was on! Forty-five minutes later I was able to land the monster fish with my uncle's help. It weighed out at forty-two pounds. Talk about a happy camper, I WAS!