• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

Fried or Grilled fish

Profit5500

I always had salmon grilled for dinner and it tasted great. I always had fillet fried and that does not bother me either me. I want to ask which taste better in your opinion. Do you prefer your fish to be fried or do you prefer your fish grilled?

Ellyn

I always had salmon grilled for dinner and it tasted great. I always had fillet fried and that does not bother me either me. I want to ask which taste better in your opinion. Do you prefer your fish to be fried or do you prefer your fish grilled?

Depends on the fish. I like salmon cold-smoked, but since that would remove the novelty of cooking it myself after catching it, I'd go for planking (which is a kind of grilling, I suppose, but low-heat over a plank of wine-soaked wood.)

I like roasted milkfish, fried tilapia, steamed cream dory...but I'm really not picky. If there's a fire pit right there, then might as well!

Profit5500

Depends on the fish. I like salmon cold-smoked, but since that would remove the novelty of cooking it myself after catching it, I'd go for planking (which is a kind of grilling, I suppose, but low-heat over a plank of wine-soaked wood.)

I like roasted milkfish, fried tilapia, steamed cream dory...but I'm really not picky. If there's a fire pit right there, then might as well!

I always liked tilapia fish especially when fried. I have eaten catfish in Asian style buffets so it is always good to try different things. I never had milkfish or steam cream dory.

CLCharms

It depends on the type of fish. I love fried cat fish, but I love grilled tilapia and salmon. Overall, I prefer grill fish over fried because its healthier.

spikerfreelancer

It depends on the type of fish. I love fried cat fish, but I love grilled tilapia and salmon. Overall, I prefer grill fish over fried because its healthier.
Very much so, except tilapia, I'll pass on that. How about poached? Soak it in a tasty marinade and poach it in a steamer, that's a treat!

cyberpuppet

I use different techniques depending on the recipe and the fish - although with mackerel its pretty much always grilled fillets.
A couple of things I have seen done on TV and would love to try is fish cooked using a car engine, and salmon "cooked" without using heat - using things like lemon juice to "chemical" cook it. Both these techniques do depend on very very fresh fish and unless my finances improve hugely I am unlikely to get a shot at trying the salmon because in the UK salmon fishing is expensive.

Nahum

To be honest, we fry up most of fish. Though on occasion its grilled. The latter is probably better from a health standpoint.

Strykstar

I think it depends a lot on what kind of fish you are cooking, some is better suited for frying, while others are better suited for grilling.
I generally prefer grilled fish, but that's because I like to eat the thicker, meatier fish, which is generally better grilled.

There was one type of fish that I tried a few years ago. I went to San Juan, Puerto Rico. There was a stand that sold empanadas and this type of fried fish. It looked flat and yellowish because it was fried. My dad told me that it was 'bacalaito.' Bacalaito is cod fish. I believe I did try it a few times when it was not fried. However, for bacalaito, I prefer it fried.

Diane Lane

I love it all. I definitely like fried fish, especially catfish, but there are other types of fish I like cooked other ways, such as grilled salmon, or baked cod.

Arthnel

I like them both, fried and grilled. Like @Diane Lane I have that difference too when it comes to fish like catfish. They just taste better when fried. Grilling is an amazing way to get many different flavors depending on the seasoning. I've had regular seasoning rubbed in and it was superb. I've also had fish grilled in lemon sauce, with cilantro and pickles and the list goes on.