• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

Have you got a least favourite bit of fishing?

cyberpuppet

Is there a bit of fishing you would rather be able to do without? Untangling birds nests? Gutting and scaling? Mackerels bottom spike that adds insult to injury when you forget its there? Maybe a species you dont like catching? Or the boring bits of equipment maintenance? We all love fishing but there must be bits you love less than others so lets here about the bits you would do without.

Nahum

Some of the maintenance can be a drag. Beyond that, I would say trying to fish in crowded areas. I just don't do it anymore. I like to be out and get some peace and quiet, so jostling with a bunch of anglers isn't going to accomplish that.

cyberpuppet

Some of the maintenance can be a drag. Beyond that, I would say trying to fish in crowded areas. I just don't do it anymore. I like to be out and get some peace and quiet, so jostling with a bunch of anglers isn't going to accomplish that.
Depending on who they are a few other anglers around with plenty of space can be fun - you have have a laugh when someones cast goes wrong and people help out but when its stupidly crowded or the other anglers are idiots yeah I can do without that.

Strykstar

For me its definitely the gutting and scaling, I love fishing but I can't stand the whole that's needed afterwards.
That actually drove me a bit away from fishing in the past, but now I've solved it by simply delegating that labor to my younger brother, I just take the fish I catch to his home and he takes care of everything, then we split what I caught.
Being out fishing is what I love so I'm grateful that we found this solution :)

cyberpuppet

For me its definitely the gutting and scaling, I love fishing but I can't stand the whole that's needed afterwards.
That actually drove me a bit away from fishing in the past, but now I've solved it by simply delegating that labor to my younger brother, I just take the fish I catch to his home and he takes care of everything, then we split what I caught.
Being out fishing is what I love so I'm grateful that we found this solution :)

I know that bit puts a lot of people off. I remember the first time I took one of my sons. He knew in theory about the processes that transform an animal or fish into food but that is a bit different from seeing it with his own eyes. The first couple of mackerel came in and were promptly headed and gutted (and mackerel are easy because no scales) - he went green and wandered off for half an hour lol. However he now does it without a pause. It is not my favourite bit but I dont mind it too much - especially as I get to eat the result.

Arthnel

I don't like the gutting and scaling part either. I don't mind blood and scales themselves. It's just that There are always some small bones sticking me very deeply or a sharp knife try to take out a chunk of flesh. I never look forward to that part of fishing. Once you catch the fish the fun part is over till the eating begins.