• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

Honoring a Friend

Sea81

Here's a question for you guys - it's not exactly about fishing, but it involves it.

A few weeks ago, a very close friend of mine from childhood died. He is the person who turned me on to my love of fishing, and that is my best memory of him. I want to do something to honor his legacy, but I'm not sure what. I was thinking about some kind of fishing trip with some of his family members or maybe even some kind of tournament.

Does anyone else have any type of experience with this type of thing?

leyash

You could get a fish to name after him. I'm not sure if local lakes/ponds do this near you, but they do it here. They tag the fish and everything, name it, and you feed it/watch it grow.

pilot2fly

Go out and catch the biggest fish you can find. After you do, have a ceremony and dedicate the fish to his memory. I'm sorry for your loss.

Gift3d

what about catching the biggest fish you can, and getting it stuffed for his family?

They would know that it was from you and you did this for him because you both loved fishing?

Sea81

Thanks, guys! These are all great ideas. I love the idea of naming the fish and/or stuffing a fish.

And thanks, pilot2fly.

Jatelo2

My sympathies for your loss. I think that you could just honor him by doing what he loved most. Whenever you will do that It will bring back his memories.

I would suggest a fishing tournament to be named after him. It is just hard to find a big fish and you name after him because all fish have their names already. A fishing tournament to be held yearly is the best for me because you will create a day that all of the people in your town would remember your friend.

r. zimm

If he died from a disease that has an association you can help organize a tournament to raise money fro that cause. Another idea is to teach an underprivileged kid to fish like with Big Brothers/Big Sisters. Then tel the kid about the good times you and your friend had fishing and ask the kid to someday teach another kid to fish and tell that kid about you.

B

bigal3

Here's a question for you guys - it's not exactly about fishing, but it involves it.

A few weeks ago, a very close friend of mine from childhood died. He is the person who turned me on to my love of fishing, and that is my best memory of him. I want to do something to honor his legacy, but I'm not sure what. I was thinking about some kind of fishing trip with some of his family members or maybe even some kind of tournament.

Does anyone else have any type of experience with this type of thing?
I like your idea of a memorial fishing tournament in his name with a prize for the first fish, the biggest fish and a booby prize for the smallest fish caught that day. You could make it an annual event in his name and he would never be forgotten. Given the same situation that's is what I would do.