• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

How many women here?

cyberpuppet

Are there any other fisher ladies here? Do you get daft reactions - if I had a pound for every person who declared they never saw a woman fishing before I would be rich. Do you find less reaction when sea fishing than fresh water fishing?

Nahum

I am, obviously, not a woman, but my wife fishes. Like many people here, she has since her youth. I don't recall her getting razed by anyone for doing so, but she mainly goes out with her family (me, her parents, grandfather, etc.) and its not uncommon for womenfolk to fish in this area.

cyberpuppet

It may be a UK thing - which is daft considering that the record for a rod caught fish was held by a woman for nearly 100 years http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/wildfis...es-index-newest-first/546-georgina-ballantine. I do generally just smile and be nice when I get that reaction and to be fair it is unusual among those who do fish. I have only met one tackle shop that was affected and it was owned by a real old guy who would rather try and sell things to my 8 year old son than respond to my questions - he did retire soon after that and I simply avoided that shop.

Arthnel

I think so too @cyberpuppet. I know lots of women who enjoy fishing over on the California side of the US. It is true that the numbers are very low compared to the number of men, but quite a few women are still game. I really think states south, south east and south central usually have greater amounts of women fishing both seawater and freshwater too.