• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

How much do you spend of fishing equipment per year?

I remember when I was younger, I thought fishing was 100% free. But your eyes open real wide as you become an adult. Rods, cloths, bait, nets, etc. These things really add up.

So for me, I end up spending around $700 a year of fishing supplies and equipment. How much do you all spend?

NickJ

Probably about $1200 a year since I live in NYC. But I take good care of my equipment and don't over-fish in the Spring or Summer so I usually am able to stretch out most of my equipment for about 4 years.

bryce12

I spend around $1000 every year on my fishing equipment. I agree that fishing is not a cheap hobby and unless you can take good care of your fishing equipment, it can set you back by hundreds or even thousands of dollars every year. My wife tells me to give up fishing because of the costs involved but I love it too much and won't abandon it for money.

NickJ

Maybe you should get your wife to join you on a fishing trip so she can see how much fun it is.

ibanezer

I've never actually calculated the amount I've spent in a year, but I would have to estimate it to be around $500-$600. I'm pretty frugal when it comes to gear and I get a lot of my equipment used off of craigslist. You can save thousands going that route!

Wow! I did not thought that you are all professional fishermen! As for me, I only go fishing for fun and just to relive stressful life in the city. Me and my friends would do it at least once in 4 or 6 months and we just rent a boat or sometimes we just do it in the river. I am not really spending a lot by fishing.

NickJ

Well it all depends on where you live. A small fishing equipment budget in Florida, can become quite bloated and expensive in NY or California.

Esperahol

Well it all depends on where you live. A small fishing equipment budget in Florida, can become quite bloated and expensive in NY or California.

So in a smaller or less expensive location what would you say your budget would come out to? I mean what would be the small town equivalent do you think?

NickJ

$500 or $550 maybe? Because I think what I spend here on equipment, I'd probably end up spending somewhere else for more extras after the essentials are purchased. Here in NYC. I just get the essentials on my budget, with no extras or "just in cases".

B

bigal3

In a year I would probably spend a couple of hundred dollars for gear, tackle, and bait. The most expensive items would be lures and sometime new tackle when needed. I made it a point to take good care of my gear so the need to replace it often was not an issue. The items I spent the most on was line, hooks, weights and the bait. I made it a point to keep my reels oiled and in perfect working order and I stored my rods in a safe place to protect the "eyes" and grips.