• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

If you have a boat, does it have a "Head?"

r. zimm

You know a bathroom or porta-potty. I'm curious to know what the consensus is. The only boats I have fished on were small and had no "facilities".

sillylucy

Yeah, we use some small boats that don't have facilities out on lakes and rivers. It's easy to hop off and just use the park bathroom. If we're going deep sea fishing then we go on larger boats and we're all good to go.

B

bigal3

The boat I had was a bass boat. My toilet was nature itself. There was always a bank close by with several trees and bushes for my toilet.

Yeah..um..we aren't rolling in it like that to have a boat with a bathroom on it. Too bad we don't though. Because there is nothing worse than having to "hold it" while you're in the middle of the lake.

r. zimm

Even without a family boat we would go on drift boats where you pay a flat fee (more if you need tackle) and they take out a couple dozen folks and drift over reefs for snapper and grouper using squid for bait but also if you drifted fish (we would often catch our own before hand and bring them aboard in a bucket with O-tabs) and drift for kingfish and Sailfish.

These boats were 80 ft or more and had nice facilities. Even if you were a total "tourist" you could have a mate bait your hook and help you land anything you caught. The mates would also take pictures and clean your catch. A generous gratuity was expected and I hate to think what they might do to a cheapskate.

SPLASH! GLUB GLUB GLUB

Gwydion

Our boats all tend to be inshore lobster boats, originally used for setting crab and lobster pots and hand-lining. They're small and pretty basic, so no 'head'.

Still, the local harbour is both shallow and tidal, so they work well where they were designed for. And as I'm not rolling in cash, these boats are a cheap option, easy to fix and maintain and plentiful on the second-hand market.

B

bigal3

My little seventeen foot bass was not equipped with a "head" but it wasn't needed for the places I would fish. If the occasion called for it a handy secluded cove would suffice for the moment.

Esperahol

I have a bladder of iron and can easily hold my liquid for 10 hours. In desperate straits I can push it to 15, but that is the maximum. In other words - I have no need of a head on my boat. I go before I leave and when I get home. That's how it works.