• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

Lionfish bonanza in Florida

thomas pendrake

Recently lionfish have invaded the waters off Florida. These dangerous fish threaten the natural balance here as well as people, but they are actually good eating. Lobster fishermen trap them (they sell for less than the lobster) and divers catch them, carefully. Contests are held to encourage mass catching, but they have no natural predators in the Atlantic. Comments or other abservations, please. Have you had any experience with this pest?

Profit5500

I never had any experience with lionfish, but hearing about lobster sure makes me hungry. I do not live in Florida so I would not know where to look. I only have been near the San Francisco beach once and I did not catch any fish swimming around in the ocean.

Arthnel

I know of these types and of some efforts to eradicate the population. They can be terribly invasive and wipe out other species quite rapidly. Many efforts include having competitions for catching them, food competitions to show how tasty they are to help perhaps in driving demand for them so more will be caught and brought to market. I have tried them cooked and roasted and they are quite a treat, real fleshy and tasty.