• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

The best fish to catch

I would say Snakehead fish are the ones I personally go for. Not for eating or anything like that. But because I feel I'm kind of doing a service to the environment catching those. They have a habit of killing off the other habitations in the waters. And as a result, the "catch and release" rule isn't enforced when it comes to Snakehead fish.

Jatelo2

I would say Snakehead fish are the ones I personally go for. Not for eating or anything like that. But because I feel I'm kind of doing a service to the environment catching those. They have a habit of killing off the other habitations in the waters. And as a result, the "catch and release" rule isn't enforced when it comes to Snakehead fish.

It seems you don't fear snakes my friend! As for me, I wouldn't even hold anything snake headed, whether they were eating every thing in the lake:) and just curious, how successful has this expedition been?

pilot2fly

Flounder is one of my favorite. They're actually pretty elusive. We will put shrimp on the hook and they often take it without getting hooked.

It seems you don't fear snakes my friend! As for me, I wouldn't even hold anything snake headed, whether they were eating every thing in the lake:) and just curious, how successful has this expedition been?

Well, in terms of success, I've caught at least 10 of them. Probably more. Definitely in the double digits though over time. What's strange though is that the Snakehead isn't even native to North American waters. It's as though someone just dropped a couple of them into the waters randomly.

A salmon or a tuna. Unfortunately I haven't catch a single one of those even if it is really possible to catch them here in our area. Maybe I just need a bigger boat to further go in the middle of the sea.

NickJ

Salmon, Trout, and Snapper. Salmon are very hard to catch and if you catch more than 6 in one trip, it's considered a success. Even without any other catch.

r. zimm

The best in coastal souther Atlantic is the Dolphin (not porpoise) or Also Dorado and Mahi Mahi. They stay in schools and are a variety of sizes from 6-8 pounds to 60. The thing that makes them fun is that they will always seek out any shade on the surface of the ocean. You can put out a tarp, or piece of wood or whatever (many fisherman make up something that folds to take along) then just sit back, enjoy a refreshing beverage and wait a little while.

They are good fighters and hit just about any kind of lure. You just cast your lure past the shade and bring it back near the shade and WHAM! The best part is that they are really good to eat!

BigBigFan

I caught my first halibut when I was 12 and it was quite the experience. Firstly it was longer than I was, and it weighed more. When we got it into the boat I couldn't stop staring at it. Halibuts look like fish that USED to have a normal body with eyes on both sides but because they swim sideways along the bottom the mouth and eyes are all twisted around to one side. You can see how evolution worked on these bottom feeders.

Fantastic, and very tasty!

I caught my first halibut when I was 12 and it was quite the experience. Firstly it was longer than I was, and it weighed more. When we got it into the boat I couldn't stop staring at it. Halibuts look like fish that USED to have a normal body with eyes on both sides but because they swim sideways along the bottom the mouth and eyes are all twisted around to one side. You can see how evolution worked on these bottom feeders.

Fantastic, and very tasty!

You remember your first catch that well? I don't remember mine at all. And if this counts, my first "catch" would probably be the Goldfish we use to have since I would just grab them with the tiny net and dump them back for fun lol

B

bigal3

A salmon or a tuna. Unfortunately I haven't catch a single one of those even if it is really possible to catch them here in our area. Maybe I just need a bigger boat to further go in the middle of the sea.
I could not agree with you more! They are among the tastiest fish in the water next to freshly caught Tuna. I also am crazy about trout and large mouth bass. By-the-way catfish aren't too shabby either. There is nothing like a catfish steak broiled over a hickory charcoal fire. Ummmm, Ummmm good!

NickJ

Catfish taste way better than Tuna. I think Tuna is the least tastiest fish. Not as bad tasting as sardines, but close.