• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

The best tackle to use, for what fish?

leyash

What is the best tackle to use, and for what fish?

What kind of tackle have you noticed is the absolute best?

leyash

That is a really helpful site! Thank you for pointing it out. I have bookmarked it, and will refer to it later!

Jatelo2

That is a really helpful site! Thank you for pointing it out. I have bookmarked it, and will refer to it later!

You are welcome, and you can feel free to update me on what you liked there whenever you have time to look at the site.

NickJ

What is the best tackle to use, and for what fish?

What kind of tackle have you noticed is the absolute best?

Live bait like shrimp usually work for all fish. What kind of fish you get with said bait, depends on how many of a certain type of fish inhabit the fishing area.

I do not really have a specific tackle for a specific fish. Yes they said shrimp work best but I still use the worms I could find in the backyard. They still work for me each and every time. I don't have to buy them so I go for them instead of shrimps.

tastykakk

I agree with using fresh jumbo shrimp. The area you fish is also important, as is knowing what fish populate the water. There are many bait to choose from. Sometimes anyone could work. It just comes down to if that particular fish want to bite that day. I've seen some people like my up above who have a ton of success with just worms. So it really doesn't matter all the time, but if you want to catch some quality fish, I'd personally use a good bait to start with. In addition to that, once you find one that works for the water you fish, stick with it. 9 times out of 10 those fish love that bait.

Shelton Sellers

The bait I use really depends on the fish I am after. I usually study up a bit and see the eating patterns of the particular fish and attempt to imitate what and when they might eat. Keeping things realistic is a safe bet most of the time when it comes to choosing a bait.

r. zimm

Another question is "what type of terminal rig do you use for a given species?" Some fish require very little, like just a short shank hoo on mono (perhaps a heavier section as leader) while others you need a sliding egg sinker and wire leader. Others a pyrimid sinker on a dropper section (to break off if caught).

So you match the terminal tackle to the species, the depth and bottom terrain then match the rod/reel to that (mainly the rod).

NickJ

The bait I use really depends on the fish I am after. I usually study up a bit and see the eating patterns of the particular fish and attempt to imitate what and when they might eat. Keeping things realistic is a safe bet most of the time when it comes to choosing a bait.

Smart. I also keep up with the fish reproductive cycles. So I'll know if I'm fishing for a particular type of fish at a particular time of year...whether I'll be getting adult fish or fry's.

B

bigal3

It is my understanding that in fishing terms "tackle" is the gear you use like the pole, reel, line, hooks and weights. I have always been taught what I see here in this thread is "BAIT" or "LURES". What is the scoop can someone clarify?

Gwydion

I'm not sure you can ever say 'best' tackle, as what you use will depend on the situation and the type of fish you are after. It also depends on whether you are out to catch fish or to have some fun. A given fish might not be much sport on heavy beach casting tackle, but bring a lighter rod and you will have much more fun.

Typically I have three rigs. A heavy long-pole beach casting rig, a medium-sized rig with a stiffer pole for fishing off rocks and piers and a light spinner rig for more fun with shoaling fish.

And though it's totally unorthodox, the most fun I've ever had sea fishing is using a trout fly rod with a wet fly and casting for shoaling fish like mackerel and school bass. The light tackle allows the fish to fight and provides a lot of sport.

I woud also agree and say the tackle is the rod (pole), reel, weights, line, hooks etc. And what you attach to the hook is the bait. The grey area is with artificial lures as they're in the tackle section of the shop rather than in the bait section.

r. zimm

Yes, the multi rig concept has several things going for it. First, you have what you need for a variety of fishing so you are better able to catch something on any given day. Second, you have "back up" in case something fails on one rig and the day will not be wasted. And, thirdly, more excuses to your wife/gf/mother/etc to justify "another" fishing expenditure!