• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

Trolling or still fishing?

B

bigal3

When fishing in a boat which method of fishing do you prefer stationary dunking (still fishing) or trolling? For me it depands on what kind of fish I am after. If I am in a lazy mood I prefer "dunking". What's your favorite?

r. zimm

In the Atlantic off South Florida we do what's called "Drift Fishing", especially in a smaller boat. You pick an area that you know has a reef below and head up current a ways. Then you put out your baits (something natural) at various depths and drift towards and over the reef.

Uses a lot less gas that trolling. They even have commercial boats 80-120 feet long that take people out and they drift over various reefs for a half day.

BigBigFan

I catch my biggest fish while trolling, the big aggressive lunkers like the chase and will hit a big lure when it's moving. I find that trolling forks best in moving waters that likely help drown out the noise of your motor a little bit, otherwise use an electric motor for better results. Trolling with your main gas powered motor in a calm lake rarely works, you spook the fish.

NickJ

I prefer being stationary when it comes to catching fish. I always worry too much movement will freak them out and send then running in the opposite direction. But if you can catch fish from your moving boat and do well for yourself, more power to ya.