• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

Tropical Milkfish

Ellyn

Greetings, everyone! I'm very, very new to sea fishing. My mother was a diver, and I got as far as snorkeling, but I just had this idea somehow that shore fish were pretty to look at, and the fish for eating were best left to professionals on faraway boats with special instruments and maybe even machinery... and that at least most edible fish that I knew, would be freshwater aquaculture.

What brings me here? Finding out that Milkfish wasn't a freshwater fish.

Well... partially. They're like the opposite of salmon, I think, in that the fry grow up in the sea, migrate upriver to mangrove lakes, and then return to the sea to mate.

They're still cultivated/domesticated, so to speak... But I was wondering, next time I visit a beach... I think I'd like to try my hand at catching them! They're horribly bony, but the flavor is really strong and I like it. They tend to be plump fish that can get to a pretty decent size, although they're not necessarily predators so I don't even know if this is a net-a-school job or a line-and-hook job or if all I need is to tickle them.

Does anybody out there have any experience or advice? Do I need to arrange with a fishery to maybe just watch them catch it, instead of jumping right into it myself?

Profit5500

That is so cool that you have a mother who has done diving in her life. I never really thought much about deep sea diving since I could not swim. I never had an encounter with a milkfish so I do not know where to catch it.

Arthnel

Me neither. I've never heard of milkfish so I think I may be doing some research and exploration to see if they can be found in my region. Rarely we hear of fish that can live in seawater and spend most of their time up in freshwater bodies. Sounds fun to me.