• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

Whats going wrong?

McGuire

Hey there!

So about twice of year my friends and i all go on a trip to the beach. We spend a lot of time back in the dunes behind the beach but like to try and catch some fish when we can in the mornings. We've gone about 6 times now and havent ever caught a thing. We always see other fishermen out the reeling in things constantly but we cant ever seem to even get a bite. We use a big fishing rod with a big weight to get it over the surf. We have tried tons of things from sardines (full and cut up) to the little sand crabs that dig into the sand (we have seen a lot of fishermen using this and catching a lot of decent sized fish)

Im just wondering if anyone knows what could be going wrong? Any suggestions appreciated!

NickJ

Maybe it's your luck. Sometimes, even the best fishermen can have empty days. Or days where they come up with donut. Then again, maybe those other guys are catching all of your fish!

Gwydion

If the other fishermen are catching things, have you asked them what they're doing? After all they're getting results so they know the right combination of tackle, bait and cast.

What fish are they catching? Find out what they catch then do your research to find out how to catch those kinds of fish. Many fish need a specific approach or you will catch nothing.

r. zimm

Could be the type of terminal rig you are using. Maybe their's is such that the bait is held off the bottom and bounces around (or vice versa). Try to take a look at what type of rig they have when they are casting.

Esperahol

Have you tried chatting up the other fishers. It can't hurt and it really might help. If everyone but you is seeing action you might just be looking a local secret or tradition.

The other fisherman could be using something to attract the fish to their areas before they actually start fishing themselves. That the only way I can see them having that kind of advantage over you like that.

NickJ

But would that be illegal? As I recall, there are no laws against any dirty tricks when it comes to fishing except doing something illegal like shooting a rival fisherman or shooting fish that someone else is trying to catch to give yourself an advantage.

B

bigal3

I do not know where you are from but where I have fished I have never found another fisherman who was not willing to give advice on what kind of rig they are using or what bait or lure is successful at that location. Where I come from that kind of information is willingly shared with others if they ask. Try it you might be pleasantly surprised. Normally that is a fisherman's common courtesy to help out other fishermen if they ask.

Esperahol

Where I come from that kind of information is willingly shared with others if they ask. Try it you might be pleasantly surprised. Normally that is a fisherman's common courtesy to help out other fishermen if they ask.

I hear where you're coming from man - most of the guys I know are totally cool with giving out tips. I mean even professional fishers aren't using too stingy with tips - maybe not their grand secret to fishing, but general tips and stuff? Fine. But some people can be major pains so maybe that's why the OP is skittish of talking to them.

B

bigal3

I hear where you're coming from man - most of the guys I know are totally cool with giving out tips. I mean even professional fishers aren't using too stingy with tips - maybe not their grand secret to fishing, but general tips and stuff? Fine. But some people can be major pains so maybe that's why the OP is skittish of talking to them.
One thing for sure is if you don't ask you will never know will you? When I have gone fishing and had a bit of luck sometime a fellow fisherman would approach me and ask me what I was using for bait. I would tell him or her what I used. It was no big deal and in my opinion it was the sporting thing to do.

BigBigFan

I was just going to say, make it worth their time to tell you and they will very likely let you see what's on their lures. You can also see what kind of fish they are pulling out of the water and ask around to find out what types of lures work best on those. The local tackleshop will likely have some opinions too, ask around, not everyone keeps secrets.

NickJ

Maybe bring your hot sister or hot female friend fishing with you. I'm pretty sure that should get all of the local fisherman ready, willing and able to spill all of their trade secrets. Even if they don't have a shot with her, the visual will work well enough.:D