• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

What's your favourite fish to catch, and why?

Gwydion

I was just wondering what kinds of fish people out there target and why. Do you go for a single type or are you more generalist?

Also, whats your favourite fish and why? Are you more in it for the sport, or are you catching fish to eat.

For me, the eating fish I target are school bass, which are also good fighters on light tackle. If I really want to catch something then I go for pollack and dog fish, but if I am after some sport I will go for conger eel or similar.

B

bigal3

My favorite fish to catch is ANY FISH THAT IS BITING THAT DAY! My favorite fish to eat is fresh water bass, large or small mouth, catfish, crappie, walleye pike, and of course trout and salmon. For salt water I like leopard shark, tuna and almost any bill fish like marlin or sailfish and the Pacific "Blue Dolphin" tops off the list.

dinarac

My favourite would be needle fish (garfish) by day, and conger eel or squid by night. I rarely eat fish, so it's mainly for sport, and that's why I like needle fish, they are fierce fighters.

r. zimm

For me it really doesn't matter because I can only go fishing when I'm not at work. So when ever I do go fishing and catch something, it's a good day!

cmilliken

My all time favorite fish to catch are largemouth bass. They can get quite big in size and will bite at mostly whatever you put in front of them. The fight these fish can put up is exhilarating, and is very exciting as an angler. They taste excellent when grilled.

B

bigal3

My all time favorite fish to catch are largemouth bass. They can get quite big in size and will bite at mostly whatever you put in front of them. The fight these fish can put up is exhilarating, and is very exciting as an angler. They taste excellent when grilled.
I really know what you mean. I hooked onto a seven and a half pound large mouth and that was a thrill! I was using lite tackle so I could not horse it in. The fight lasted about twenty minutes and was a complete thrill when I finally netted it. By-the-way, It was really some good eating that night around the camp fire. :)

I think it is always exciting to have a fish on the line, and getting it landed, the more it fights, the better ! I also love eating the fish, so I have to say that I enjoy fishing not only for the sport of catching the fish, but also having fresh fish for dinner. Even when I don't catch a fish, it is always fun being out there and trying to catch one. Just fishing itself, is so relaxing and enjoyable.
I prefer fishing from shore, but boat fishing is good also, and you can get the tasty Bluebacks for smoking when you are trolling in the evenings.

Esperahol

I'm more of a generalist, but I do like to have bass and catfish. I also like anything that puts up a good fight even if I am not going to eat it, but instead release it back.

When I lived in Idaho, most of the catfish there are what is called Bullheads. They have a pinkish-brown meat, and a yellowish belly with a black back. I always seemed to catch them, and they soon became my most unfavorite fish to catch, and I refused to cook or eat them.
After I moved to Missouri, and had some small ponds with catfish in them , I tried catching and eating those.
They are still not my favorite fish, but I certainly like them better than the bullheads.

nhsososo4

Well i have never gone fishing personally but my husband recently said we need to take up fishing as a hobby. I was a bit shocked but then i thought to myself well he loves the sea, water and ponds so why did i not expect it from him. Well we are just waiting for me to give birth to our first son then we will start with our new hobby. His idea was that we need to start developing more educational and family orientated hobbies other than just things that suit the both of us, since we are going to be a family with children now.

I must say, i am looking forward to it as much as i do not know anything about fishing but i think it will be fun. Therefore i will be reading here what most people like and why and get a general consensus maybe when we start with ours then at least i will be a bit clued up on what really happens in the fishing world.

Dubstep84

I catch fish to eat. I do not really agree with catching them soley for sport. But before they got banned, my favorite fish to catch were Red Snapper. I love the flavor of those fish. There is nothing else like it in this world. Also I would catch Whiting, Mahi-Mahi, Bass, as well as Flounder.

thomas pendrake

Snook, exciting to catch and the best eating fish there is. Be sure to use metal leader and watch the gill covers, as they are razor sharp. A mild flavored fish. Don't try to buy or sell it. Be sure of the current regulations, as Florida is serous about prosecuting violations concerning this fish.

Profit5500

My favorite fish to catch is ANY FISH THAT IS BITING THAT DAY! My favorite fish to eat is fresh water bass, large or small mouth, catfish, crappie, walleye pike, and of course trout and salmon. For salt water I like leopard shark, tuna and almost any bill fish like marlin or sailfish and the Pacific "Blue Dolphin" tops off the list.

I am with you one the salmon part and catfish. I never fished so if I were to catch something it would be tilapia and salmon. I do not know if fresh water bass is good or not.