• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

When your catch gives birth on the boat

BigBigFan

There are a few videos on youtube of big fish and sharks giving birth after being caught, have you seen them? I've never had a fish I've caught give birth in over 20 years of fishing, does it happen very often? Yikes!

495Northbound

Awwl man... That guy was too smooth. His reaction was way too calm for me -- I'm guessing that this happens a lot more often than we hear about.

I would have been weirded out by seeing that. He's probably so calm because he's one of those fisherman that have been around the block a few times. Which is why he can deal with it so casually.

This is a rare situation. I have never seen this my whole life but I think it is possible because because those fishes that we caught could be in a lot of stress and they exert too many force that maybe caused them to give birth if they are pregnant.

This is a rare situation. I have never seen this my whole life but I think it is possible because because those fishes that we caught could be in a lot of stress and they exert too many force that maybe caused them to give birth if they are pregnant.

That's true. Stress and extreme conditions have always been known to make the human body excrete when they don't actually mean to. So there is no reason to believe the same doesn't happen to other creatures, fish included.

r. zimm

I have heard of it but never saw it happen. It did look like they had cut the shark open to clean it first so I don't think the birthing was "natural". More like a C-Section!

Arthnel

I guess it happens fairly often. The guy did seem very relaxed as he even took his time to hold the pups up to the camera before throwing them back into the water. I found that part to be quite super. I was kinda shocked when I heard the squeaking sounds:eek::eek:. It's a good thing the video prompted me those sounds were coming from the birds flying around. Go ahead and laugh. I'm sure the sounds caught some of you guys too:whistle: