• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

Which do you prefer, fresh water or salt water fishing and why?

B

bigal3

Of the two which do you prefer fresh water fishing on lakes and rivers or the excitement of the ocean and the really big fish? I find it difficult to make that call. Both are fishing but the techniques are very much different.

Last edited by a moderator:

cmilliken

I prefer freshwater fishing. I enjoy fishing for largemouth bass, as they are strong and taste great. Freshwater fishing is very peaceful for me - specifically in lakes.

B

bigal3

I prefer freshwater fishing. I enjoy fishing for largemouth bass, as they are strong and taste great. Freshwater fishing is very peaceful for me - specifically in lakes.
I could not agree more. Although I like saltwater fishing and I also like fresh water fishing for the same reasons you do. I really enjoy the quiet and peacefulness of the moment. That said, I enjoy any form of fishing, fresh or salt water. :)

I also enjoy both types of fishing, and there are distinct advantages to each one.
When I am fishing along a river, or a lake, it is pretty laid back and relaxing usually, at least until a big fish grabs your line and heads out to the middle of the lake with it. Pretty much you know what kind of fish you are apt to catch, especially if it is a lake where you fish often.
Ocean fishing just seems to be a lot more interesting, since there are just so many fish that are a possibility of catching, and you just never know what type or SIZE of a fish is going to be on the hook when you get it landed.
However, you need a lot more expensive fishing tackle to ocean fish, at least if you are going to do more than fish in a small inlet where the larger fish are not going to be biting .
So, for someone like myself, with not much money to spend on tackle and nice ocean rod and reel, mostly lake fishing is the answer, unless I am fishing with someone who has all the equipment needed for the ocean.

JoshSmith100

I like both types of fishing but I do prefer salt water fishing. I mainly prefer it probably because I have a really nice salt water boat. If I had to shore fish saltwater fishing, im sure I would like freshwater fishing more.

cyberpuppet

I think of the 2 I prefer salt water for reasons already mentioned - it is far more interesting to see what it is you have caught. I also think that pound for pound sea fish fight more. I am quite happy catching small stuff and find even a little sea fish will scrap hard. Also being the UK I am more likely to catch something edible in the sea lol.

Nahum

Most of my fishing experience is fresh water (mainly lakes and some streams). However, I have been recently introduced to salt water fishing and I cannot figure why I didn't get into this years ago. One of my favorite non-fishing sports is hunting upland birds too and sea fishing, easily, ranks with said. I realize that might not make a lot of sense to most folks, but it does to me. :D

cyberpuppet

Most of my fishing experience is fresh water (mainly lakes and some streams). However, I have been recently introduced to salt water fishing and I cannot figure why I didn't get into this years ago. One of my favorite non-fishing sports is hunting upland birds too and sea fishing, easily, ranks with said. I realize that might not make a lot of sense to most folks, but it does to me. :D
At least in the US and Australia they seem to have a much more balanced view of hunting and shooting there than in the UK. Here there is a wide perception that only rich toffs would go shooting birds and that such activities should be done away with. A lot of the pressure that was on fox hunting has now been transferred to shooting and if shooting is outlawed it will be moved to fishing. The big country sports groups said this would happen and those trying to stop it denied it.

Nahum

Those activities (fishing, hunting, etc.) are enjoyed by all socioeconomic classes here in the Pacific Northwest. In that this region is one of the best to live in if you like outdoor activity. I know what you mean about those that seek to curtail or outright ban such sports. That happens here too, though in this region it gets very little traction.

cyberpuppet

Those activities (fishing, hunting, etc.) are enjoyed by all socioeconomic classes here in the Pacific Northwest. In that this region is one of the best to live in if you like outdoor activity. I know what you mean about those that seek to curtail or outright ban such sports. That happens here too, though in this region it gets very little traction.
The activities are enjoyed by all classes here too - its just the pressure groups opposed to them dont see that. The area I live is not too bad - I have never had abuse at the river side like people get in some areas, but I am aware of the threat hanging over us. The UK being a small country where the loudest voices too often get their own way it is definitely conceivable that some types of fishing could be outlawed.

Nickesha Bailey

The sea is the greatest point of experience for me. I am not close to large rivers, the sea is the only place where i can get on a boat and help with the process.

Nickesha Bailey

I was exposed to a lot a river fishing during my early childhood years as i was residing in an area where rivers were more abundant. I am only restricted to the sea currently.

Arthnel

I started out fishing in the sea in California and it's still thrilling today. The fish are larger, sometimes more feisty and I love the taste of seawater fish. I absolutely love fishing in ponds and lakes too because of the lull, peaceful vibe it brings. The fish put up a good fight too and it helps to calm my spirit. I find if I do one too often I miss the other, so I try to keep a good balance between seawater and freshwater.