• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

All Time Favorite Fish...

B

bigal3

What is your all time favorite fish to catch and eat? Often people go fishing but they don't eat the kind of fish they land. What fish do you throw back because you don't like the taste or some other reason?

Usually, I am fishing in a place where I am apt to catch a fish that I want to eat, and if it is one that I am not familiar with, I am usually game to at least try it and see how it tastes.
I enjoy fishing, and I also enjoy eating the fish, so it is a double pleasure. When I catch something that is just a trash fish or sucker, then I usually take it home and bury it under a rosé or the lilac bush, and it helps them to grow, so most anything I catch is not wasted.

Esperahol

I like catfish (even if they are filthy little bottom feeders). Other then them and bass and flounder and trout and salmon and a couple of other things, I just throw it back and hope it makes it. Landing the catch is what I love, so eating what I catch isn't something really important.

Esperahol , I agree that landing the catch is the most fun, but I have had old rotten shoes , long branches , and even snapping turtles put up a darn good fight to get them landed, but it just was not the same as when it was a nice eatable fish on the end of my line, once I got them reeled in and saw what I had "caught".

Esperahol

Oh, I know what you mean. The thing is I like the fighting part best, the eating part is just a great bonus. Even if it's a boot - if the fight was epic I'll get a great laugh out of it. That said I eat turtles so... yeah.

You actually eat those awful , ugly snapping turtles ? I have heard of people eating them, but when I first saw one, it smelled bad, and was covered with mossy kind of stuff besides .
How does one even prepare such a creature to eat ? You would have to de-shell it to clean the insides out of it.
I am thinking that this is something that I would just pass on eating if I had to try to kill and clean it first .
Waiting to hear how you do it ?

Esperahol

I only eat some snapping turtles, but generally I have no issue with eating turtles. Getting the shell off is pretty easy all things considered; really the hard part is killing the stupid thing without losing a finger or something. Once you've discarded or set aside the innards (for bait) you just have to take your time and debone it. Once you've done that you can either treat it like fish (recommended) or treat it like a very odd sort of fowl (not as recommended). Just remember turtles like chickens carry salmonella and can thus make you very sick if not properly cooked.

I only eat some snapping turtles, but generally I have no issue with eating turtles. Getting the shell off is pretty easy all things considered; really the hard part is killing the stupid thing without losing a finger or something. Once you've discarded or set aside the innards (for bait) you just have to take your time and debone it. Once you've done that you can either treat it like fish (recommended) or treat it like a very odd sort of fowl (not as recommended). Just remember turtles like chickens carry salmonella and can thus make you very sick if not properly cooked.

I remember the ones that I caught were seriously NASTY TEMPERED critters !
They would stand straight up on their legs, and come after you hissing and looking vicious. They looked like they belonged back with the dinosaurs., with the ridges along their backs.
Back home in Idaho, we had cute little Painted Turtles, and those were friendly little fellows, and we usually would bring them home for the kids to enjoy for a few days when we found one, then turn I loose again near some pond or lake. They would come wandering across the highway in the springtime to find a place to lay their eggs . They were a much cleaner turtle, but I don't think I would have wanted to eat one of those either.
Pretty sure I won't be trying to kill and clean a snapping turtle, but I do think tht it is great that you know how to do it. Does it taste more like a chicken or a fish ?

Arthnel

I'll easily go for a wide variety of seafood, but all time favorites have been parrot, grouper and snapper from the sea and then catfish from lakes. I don't fighting with my food so as long as there are too many bones to pick through I'm not going to be a fan of that fish at all. I will go through bones if A lot of flesh results after that ordeal.