• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

Any fishing spots you've visited have myths?

NickJ

Halloween is almost upon us, so this is a Halloween related but also fishing related topic. Have any of the spots you've guys fished in alone or with a friend, have any rumored strange myths, hauntings, or the like? I have to say none of the spots I've fished in have any stories I know of. Although I've come across some unpleasant people from time to time, they've all been flesh and blood.:p

The only myth the fishing lake where I live has is the one I tried to start myself to little kids. I tried to make them believe that the 3 eyed fish from the Simpsons was real and in our lake

Gift3d

The only myth the fishing lake where I live has is the one I tried to start myself to little kids. I tried to make them believe that the 3 eyed fish from the Simpsons was real and in our lake
Lol, did any of them believe it?, I've never heard of any kinds of myths or hauntings where I fish unfortunatly, would be pretty cool

NickJ

Haha! That fish is way too cute and goofy-looking to actually scare anyone. Should've told them the Piranha's from "Piranha 3D" were lurking in the lake instead. Those were some scary fishes, despite being CGI.

Jatelo2

hahaha..You shouldn't wish for anything more than flesh and blood fishing next you. I must warn you against the desire for ghosts or horrors, these are known to really terrify

I used to fish on a deep pond close to our old house in the farm. They said that it is the pond that drowned 4 kids. They said that they sucked by something deep in that pond but I never believed it to be true so as my father. It was my father who actually told that story to me but he's also the one who said that it was just all a belief that has never been proven.

Haha! That fish is way too cute and goofy-looking to actually scare anyone. Should've told them the Piranha's from "Piranha 3D" were lurking in the lake instead. Those were some scary fishes, despite being CGI.

Yeah, I guess the story was a little too far fetched considering even the 5 year old wasn't believing it and laughing.

NickJ

I used to fish on a deep pond close to our old house in the farm. They said that it is the pond that drowned 4 kids. They said that they sucked by something deep in that pond but I never believed it to be true so as my father. It was my father who actually told that story to me but he's also the one who said that it was just all a belief that has never been proven.

They could've been pulled in by a sink hole or something. Ponds can't really house any dangerous or mysterious animals or creatures. Most likely maybe have been a water moccassin or something else. But I doubt it was anything out of the ordinary.

r. zimm

The pier I fished on as a teen had a legendary 'Cuda called "Old Moe" but he was no legend! I saw him several times and though it was hard to judge his length, we guessed he was at least 7 ft and very wide at the head. No one every even hooked him, he was too smart. He did just up and vanish one year so who knows what happened to him.

NickJ

He probably died of natural causes. Or someone caught him and just didn't tell you about it.:D

deansaliba

In the middle of our local park is a lake and there has long been a myth that there are plenty of babies at the bottom of it from the abortions performed during the war (I live in East London where the local women reportedly had their fair share of the American soldiers), some older anglers would tell stories of catching baby skulls. The myth should be dead now seeing as they recently drained the lake to do work on it for the Olympics and there were no bodies found. :)

NickJ

Well those bones or whatever would've eroded away by now. Between the water, the time that's passed, and the fact that they were baby remains. Not adult remains. Still, that's a creepy frikkin myth man.

bryce12

Well I haven't been so lucky but my friend once fished at a place near New Jersey that was supposed to be cursed. Even though my friend is not superstitious, he could feel the presence of something spooky at that location. Needless to say, he never went there again and we still have a good laugh whenever we discuss about that outing.

Well I haven't been so lucky but my friend once fished at a place near New Jersey that was supposed to be cursed. Even though my friend is not superstitious, he could feel the presence of something spooky at that location. Needless to say, he never went there again and we still have a good laugh whenever we discuss about that outing.

Sounds like your friend may have become a believer that night.

BigBigFan

Every single fishing spot I visit has a myth!

Ok, so that myth is created by me but still, every single place I fish is THE place to catch the biggest Largemouth Bass or Walleye ever right? ;)

I did fish in a lake in Wisconsin that supposedly had invisible fish. I'm not sure if it's true or not but since I didn't catch anything it might be.