• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

Anyone into Kayak Fishing?

r. zimm

I have heard about people that fish in the ocean from a kayak. They use a shorter rod and conventional reel but only have the paddle to get around. If they catch something big it can drag them out to sea!

Has anyone ever done that? What do you folks think about ocean fishing from a kayak?

I've always been to afraid to fish via Kayak. And it's for the reason you just mentioned. The fear of being dragged out into the sea. If I'm going to be on the water, I need my boat to have some weight to it.

r. zimm

^^^ I feel the same way, man! The other problem is that you will have to be in much better shape than I am to do all that paddling. I can't see myself fighting the surf just to get a ways offshore to fish. Although during the summer in South Florida, the ocean is quite often as smooth as glass so that might be the time to start.

The other thing about kayaks is that you really should practice righting yourself if flipped over. Otherwise you might drown.

NickJ

I won't do anything that involves a kayak. It's just not my thing. I prefer a regular fishing boat with still waters.

Honestly, I'm shocked people even still use them in this day and age. Does anyone know what sort of advantage a Kayak would have in comparison to a normal boat?

r. zimm

I think it falls under the general category of "EXTREME" fishing. Any activity or sport with "EXTREME" in the name is way cooler then without the "EXTREME" , didn't you know that?

Just like how Seafishingforum is an "EXTREME" fishing forum!

r. zimm

Your Avatar says differently! I know what you mean, I have used canoes many times but no matter what happens I can't see getting stuck underneath one (unless I was knocked unconscious) but kayaks are closed in around your waist so you have to practice righting yourself.

Some of the new injection molded kayaks are more of a "sit in" proposition however but they do not look very comfortable.

NickJ

I think it falls under the general category of "EXTREME" fishing. Any activity or sport with "EXTREME" in the name is way cooler then without the "EXTREME" , didn't you know that?

Just like how Seafishingforum is an "EXTREME" fishing forum!

Extreme anything sounds fun in theory. But you'd better be prepared for the consequences that can arise from fishing in a kayak. Especially if no one on your crew is a professional at this sort of activity.

Esperahol

I kayak occassionally, but I can't see fishing from one of the stupid things. I don't fear being towed or even flipping over. I do however have an issues with all my focus being on the fish rather than my surroundings as I paddle about.

r. zimm

It sounded very odd to me when I heard about and for the same reasons you all have mentioned. I think there is a certain thrill of doing something that everyone else says is crazy (that sort of proves it though doesn't it?) and of course the challenge.

There is something to be said for going out on the ocean in a wee little boat powered by your own arms. Very very retro, like "cave man" retro!

Esperahol

I wouldn't say cave man, but it is primitve - and awesome. I'm a bit of an adrenal junkie. I am going to work on that... maybe. I am maybe going to work on that. Oh. Kayak is so dangerous some times.

BigBigFan

I still haven't mastered the kayak without attempting to fish in it, I think that if I tried kayak fishing all my gear would be at the bottom pretty quickly, it takes practice! I'm sure it's easy when you get the hang of it but I'm just not there yet, I'd make a good youtube video to watch probably, as I fall in the water trying to save my gear :)

B

bigal3

I have heard about people that fish in the ocean from a kayak. They use a shorter rod and conventional reel but only have the paddle to get around. If they catch something big it can drag them out to sea!

Has anyone ever done that? What do you folks think about ocean fishing from a kayak?

I tried kayak fishing ONCE on a lake. It was difficult at best trying to balance the kayak and control my rod and reel at the same time. Nope, kayak fishing is not my cup of tea so to speak. I prefer a more stable platform to catch my fish.:cautious::)

r. zimm

You have a good point about managing the boat and your fishing tackle at the same time. I think that most serious kayak fisherman rig up a mount to put the fishing rod into while they use the paddles. Then if they get a fish hooked they can switch.