• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

Anyone into Kayak Fishing?

B

bigal3

You have a good point about managing the boat and your fishing tackle at the same time. I think that most serious kayak fisherman rig up a mount to put the fishing rod into while they use the paddles. Then if they get a fish hooked they can switch.
Another thing just occured to me. What if you hook up a huge salmon or some other large fish like a big bass or catfish? Something like that could drag a person all over the lake if they were not willing to cut the line and send it on its way. Depending on the fish it might even realize it is bigger than the kayak and decide to attack it. That would really be a BIG fish story. :D

r. zimm

I think kayaks are actually used more in the ocean and folks regularly troll for Sailfish and even Marlin. Right now in SE Florida you would be more likely to hook a shark as they come in large numbers this time of year (I think to spawn).

Talk about getting pulled around! You might find yourself getting chased by a Bahamian Patrol Boat!

bazzie89

I actually quite fancied the idea of kayak fishing but on a lake, less dangerous me thinks. We have a large dam near us but unfortunately no boating is allowed at all! Nearest I came to kayak fishing was one year for our vacation we rented this chalet with it's own private lake. At our disposal was this very small, and I mean very small, dinghy with an electric re-chargeable outboard. So me and my two sons squashed into this little boat went out into the middle of the lake and milled about trying spinning. It wasn't until I hooked up this fairly decent sized catfish that it dawned on us how the hell we were gonna get it off the hook, no room to land it in the boat so we had to drag the thing behind us back to shore, gave up after this! Similar problems in a small kayak I shouldn't wonder.

snake3scape

I don't think you could get me on kayak to fish even if you paid me! I mean for one fitting all your supplies in a little kayak area would be a hassle. You have to have a collapsible and portable rod if you weren't just fishing with your hands or something. Then the whole risk of flipping would be even more scary. Doesn't sound like a good idea to me...but maybe those younger folks would enjoy it.

Arthnel

It still doesn't sound like a good idea to me either. Granted, I would watch someone do it and see how much fun they get trying to find balance, especially if they get a bite from a big one. I do not see myself out at sea or in a river in a kayak trying to fish at all. Seems a lot tricky to with a huge possibility of toppling over.