• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

Avoiding Sharks

teamrose

Living in FL we often get shark near shore warnings. It seems sharks are attracted to color, yellow, white, and silver seem to get their juices flowing. Many divers maintain that clothing, fins, and tanks should be painted in dull colors to avoid shark attacks. Certain types of irregular sounds - like those made by a swimmer in trouble or an injured fish - seem to attract sharks from great distances. Sound, rather than sight or smell, seems to be a shark's primary cue for moving into an area. Probably why most fisherman try to keep very quiet when in shark infested waters, that is unless you're looking to catch a shark.

Esperahol

Smell is the main thing - as in the smell of blood or panic. Then is sound - as in the sound of struggle or panic. Next is electrical fields versus sight - both require a fairly close distance and so can be used at about the same time. I have never heard anything regarding color as a sign of attack. I'm not even sure how that would work.

Jatelo2

I here shark is edible so catching it must be one of the most motivating activity in water, risks aside! Anyway I didn't know anything related to colors attracting shark or any fish. Thanks for the insight I may just go and research on that!

teamrose

"The woman taken by the dolphin was 37 year old pilates instructor and professional dancer, Tanya Halerfan of Liverpool, NY . Authorities are still looking for Halerfan.
Bob Grunderson of the National Coast Guard made a statement to the press stating, “Our search for Miss Halerfan or her remains will continue though we hold no hope of finding either. In past experience with cases of dolphin kidnapping and sexual assault the victims are usually never found.”

"Researchers studying dolphin behavior have been noticing an alarming trend in recent years. They have discovered rogue packs of adult male dolphins gang raping swimmers in open waters. Human decoys fitted with tracking devices have been dumped in open waters and observed from helicopter."

"Scott Randleston of the Dolphin Research Institute of Boca Raton, has been studying dolphin behavior for 17 years, and came up with the decoy program. “In every case the decoy was set upon in a short time by groups of dolphins ranging from 8 to 20 young males. It seems there are gangs of dolphin predators roaming the open waters looking for humans to sexually assault. The dolphins in each case were observed circling the swimmer as one of the group grabbed them with their penis and dragged them under, then the others followed. You see dolphins have a prehensile penis, it is full of powerful muscles and they can wrap it around objects, such as a human wrist, ankle, neck, or waist. One could compare it to a boa constrictor or an elephant trunk….The decoys never resurfaced in any of the studies…. We tracked one of the decoys to an underwater cave where it had been repeatedly raped and torn apart by the dolphins. ”

"There are at least 14 cases of dolphin rape reported each year in the United States, these usually occur near the shore where victims are able to escape before they can be dragged into a dolphin rape cave. There is no real estimate of how many deaths are the result of dolphin rape each year as many of these occur in open water where there are few eyewitnesses if any."

I here shark is edible so catching it must be one of the most motivating activity in water, risks aside! Anyway I didn't know anything related to colors attracting shark or any fish. Thanks for the insight I may just go and research on that!

You heard correctly. Sharks are edible. That's how they make stuff like "Shark Fin" soup. But unlike most fish, sharks will fight back. And fight back hard too. On a side note though, shark fin soup doesn't taste all that bad. It's just one of those foods people aren't really use to and don't eat often.

Esperahol

Sharks are generally not edible as far as I know. There is shark fin soup, but more often then not only the dorsal fin is harvested leaving the rest to drown. And of course some sharks like Great Whites are rather toxic to the diet.

teamrose

Well in South Florida sharks are eaten. The gulf sharks are really good. My favorite way of cooking shark is to let it marinate in a 50/50 mixture of vinegar for three hours before cooking. Beer is another good marinade for shark. After marinating, I cut it into 1/2 inch steaks and fry it like any other fish. It's also very good grilled with lemon pepper or garlic salt.

Wow! That is interesting! I have never eaten a shark before. There is restaurant here that serves shark meals but they are way too expensive for a practical man that I am.

teamrose

Well if you are not willing to live a little to experience the taste of shark, you have to what we little people do. Get out there and catch your own. Shark fishing separates the men from the boys. We girls are already up to the challenge. You can do it. Not all sharks are man killers you know.

r. zimm

Shark is ok if the shark is small. Once they get bigger the flesh has a lot of uric acid so it will not taste good unles the blood is drained out and the flesh soaked repeatedly in salt water.

A friend of mine is a dive instructor and he was bitten by a small shark (about 4 ft) several months ago. It bit him in the leg after just hanging around him for a few minutes and my friend did not bother the shark at all. Luckily, there was another diver still in the water (my friend was the Dive Master so he let the other divers get into the boat before himself) who came back down and helped my friend get to the surface. The other good thing was that another diver was a doctor and she wrapped up his leg in a towel to stop the bleeding.

They called the Coast Guard and had an ambulance waiting at the dock. He had several long deep gashes in his calf and was in the hospital a couple of days since they had to reconstruct the flesh. His girlfriend was freaked out as they were engaged to be married but everything turned out fine.

teamrose

True shark meat has to be properly prepared, but it is really good once cooked right. It is too expensive unless you catch the shark yourself. They are a very dangerous fish. We get shark attacks all the time here in FL. People know where they are, but continue to swim in the shark infested waters. Perhaps it's the challenge or the excitement. Your friend was very lucky his girlfriend was there. Although, most people survive a shark attack.

Wow! That is interesting! I have never eaten a shark before. There is restaurant here that serves shark meals but they are way too expensive for a practical man that I am.

It makes sense it's so expensive. Not because of the rarity, but because of the dangers in catching sharks. Part of that high cost comes from the risk factor of catching it.

teamrose

Funny you say that about the risk factor in catching a shark. I suppose here in FL we have big game hunters. We have many people that wrestle alligators, keep pythons for pets and fish for sharks on a routine basis. Perhaps it true, real men live in Florida. (y)

B

bigal3

"The woman taken by the dolphin was 37 year old pilates instructor and professional dancer, Tanya Halerfan of Liverpool, NY . Authorities are still looking for Halerfan.
Bob Grunderson of the National Coast Guard made a statement to the press stating, “Our search for Miss Halerfan or her remains will continue though we hold no hope of finding either. In past experience with cases of dolphin kidnapping and sexual assault the victims are usually never found.”

"Researchers studying dolphin behavior have been noticing an alarming trend in recent years. They have discovered rogue packs of adult male dolphins gang raping swimmers in open waters. Human decoys fitted with tracking devices have been dumped in open waters and observed from helicopter."

"Scott Randleston of the Dolphin Research Institute of Boca Raton, has been studying dolphin behavior for 17 years, and came up with the decoy program. “In every case the decoy was set upon in a short time by groups of dolphins ranging from 8 to 20 young males. It seems there are gangs of dolphin predators roaming the open waters looking for humans to sexually assault. The dolphins in each case were observed circling the swimmer as one of the group grabbed them with their penis and dragged them under, then the others followed. You see dolphins have a prehensile penis, it is full of powerful muscles and they can wrap it around objects, such as a human wrist, ankle, neck, or waist. One could compare it to a boa constrictor or an elephant trunk….The decoys never resurfaced in any of the studies…. We tracked one of the decoys to an underwater cave where it had been repeatedly raped and torn apart by the dolphins. ”

"There are at least 14 cases of dolphin rape reported each year in the United States, these usually occur near the shore where victims are able to escape before they can be dragged into a dolphin rape cave. There is no real estimate of how many deaths are the result of dolphin rape each year as many of these occur in open water where there are few eyewitnesses if any."

Just one question, how does that relate to sharks?

Karen May Jones

Yes, it is definitely edible. My dad has purchased it from the Kroger's store in Cincinnati Ohio. He took the meat home and microwaved it in a marinade of salad dressing and lemon.

I am scared to death of sharks. Their teeth are frightening. In fact, I'm scared of most fish with teeth! One thing I heard about shark protection is they are not likely to bite on metal. You'll notice that divers wear body armor like in the old fashioned days, something akin to chain mail. Even with all safeguards in place, doing everything by the book, I would have too much anxiety if somebody reeled a shark in and flopped it down in the boat. No WAY!