• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

Cigar minnows

pilot2fly

Does anyone else use cigar minnows while trying to fish for things like Spanish mackerel? I've used them a few times with success.

leyash

I've never even heard of these... how bad is that? I looked them up online and they look interesting. I can see why people would use them!

Jatelo2

I never used them. I can, however, judge from your experience that they are ok to use. Oh, that is if your use of 'success' meant exactly that:)

pilot2fly

Well it all depends on feeding times. If we go out there at 11 AM and try to troll the water, we won't catch much. We have to go out early.

Jatelo2

Well it all depends on feeding times. If we go out there at 11 AM and try to troll the water, we won't catch much. We have to go out early.

Chances of catching bigger fishes is also increased when one goes in the morning or night, provided one has the necessary tools. As you said, these are mostly the feeding time for the bigger fishes.

NickJ

The better fishing spot, the bigger fish you'll catch. Some spots are rife with large fish. Others not so much.

pilot2fly

Good points guys! Also, if you're in salt water, bigger fish tend to hang around areas where smaller fish are found, such as reefs. It's a prime feeding ground for the big boys.

Esperahol

I use minnows, but I'm not real particular about kind. My only intent is to lure in something and I've found that a frantic little fish on a line does that fairly well. I also have found that rocky areas with lots of shadows tend to be better spots for this.

I haven't heard that thing being used as a bait or something. I'll try to look for it over the internet to see how it actually works. It is always good to try out new things sometimes. :) Thanks!

NickJ

Speaking of fishing spots can you be generous enough to share some info on how to identify one?

Visit the spot often to get a look at the fish, what kind of fish, and how often they turn up in the lake. Fishing is about patience, but you don't wanna have a dead day where you're fishing in a spot where there's little to no fish. Also check for fish eggs. If there are a lot, then that means there's a lot of adult fish in the area. You can also start up convos with locals and get the info from them. That's the easy way though. Finding your own solo fishing spot is super difficult though. Also depends on where you live.

r. zimm

Yes I have for many other fish as well. The way we catch the cigar minnow is with a sabiki rig (we called them gold hook rigs) which is a string of tiny gold hooks on loops of about 3 ft long with a weight on the bottom for casting. You cast where you think the bait fish are (sometimes you can see the school) and let it sink to the bottom then jig it up. If the bait you seek is at a certain depth then you try for that. Sabiki rigs are also great for catching menhaden and if you add a wee bit of bait (anything) you can also catch small runners and croakers for bait.

B

bigal3

Does anyone else use cigar minnows while trying to fish for things like Spanish mackerel? I've used them a few times with success.
Excuse my ignorance but what are "cigar" minnows? I've not heard of them before. What is the difference between them and ordinary minnows?:unsure:

r. zimm

Here is a picture of a Cigar Minnow.

CigarMinnow.jpg

It's not a "minnow" like you would find in fresh water. It's just called that I think because it is a relatively small fish, 5-6 inches long. You catch them (usually) on a Sabiki rig or (my preference) Gold Hook Rig. The GHR is just 3-6 small gold hooks spaced about 6 inches apart on your line above a weight. I think the flashing gold hoos look like wee little shrimps or something to the Cigar Minnows (and other bait fish as well). It can be a real hoot to hook up several bait fish on a GHR at once since they are all going in different directions.

You should have a bucket of salt water ready to put the bait fish into to keep them lively. If there are plenty of bait fish but nothing bigger biting you can put the bait fish into a plastic zipper bag (you do bring some of those with you don't you?) and take them home and freeze them. These make great baits (cut in half) for snapper at night.

B

bigal3

Here is a picture of a Cigar Minnow.

CigarMinnow.jpg

It's not a "minnow" like you would find in fresh water. It's just called that I think because it is a relatively small fish, 5-6 inches long. You catch them (usually) on a Sabiki rig or (my preference) Gold Hook Rig. The GHR is just 3-6 small gold hooks spaced about 6 inches apart on your line above a weight. I think the flashing gold hoos look like wee little shrimps or something to the Cigar Minnows (and other bait fish as well). It can be a real hoot to hook up several bait fish on a GHR at once since they are all going in different directions.

You should have a bucket of salt water ready to put the bait fish into to keep them lively. If there are plenty of bait fish but nothing bigger biting you can put the bait fish into a plastic zipper bag (you do bring some of those with you don't you?) and take them home and freeze them. These make great baits (cut in half) for snapper at night.
Wow, in all of the years I have fished I had never heard of "Cigar Minnows". I lived most of my life in the midwest and west coast of California but never came in contact with them before. Are they strictly a saltwater minnow?(y):)