• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

Cigar minnows

r. zimm

Yes, saltwater only. I bet there is a Pacific variety that they call something else. Quite often fish (bait and game) can have different names in different regions.

Oh, one more thing. What we in Florida call a cigar minnow could even be a couple of different fish species that are cigar shaped rather that flat sided. The cigar minnows I am familiar with are a slightly different color than the picture.

B

bigal3

Yes, saltwater only. I bet there is a Pacific variety that they call something else. Quite often fish (bait and game) can have different names in different regions.

Oh, one more thing. What we in Florida call a cigar minnow could even be a couple of different fish species that are cigar shaped rather that flat sided. The cigar minnows I am familiar with are a slightly different color than the picture.
To think of all the years I have fished since I was a youngster of about nine years old fishing with my uncle who was an outdoorsman and taught me nearly everything about hunting and fishing and he never mentioned "cigar minnows". It just goes to show you never get too old to learn.(y)

snake3scape

I went out with a good guy a while back who made dead cigar minnow rigs which were difficult to make but preformed pretty well for himself. The trick is to make sure they don't spin if you're trolling them.

B

bigal3

I live in Thailand near the ocean where the fishing is fairly good. My question is does anyone out there know if there are "Cigar Minnows" in this part of the world? If so where because I would like to try them out sometime if I go fishing again.:unsure:

r. zimm

Any small cigar shaped fish that swims in schools would work for you. Bait fish are small schooling species that many predator fish will go after for a meal so they work for bait for us predators.