• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

Cost of Fishing

NickJ

You mean you get on a bus or train with all your fishing gear? That has to be awkward! Then to you get back on public transportation with your catch in tow? How offensive that must smell to regular commuters. Just the thought of riding public transportation with someone loaded down with fishing gear and fish, makes me twinge. :)

No, I have my catch in a cooler with lots of ice. LOTS. So there's no smell. It's airtight closed too.

B

bigal3

No, I have my catch in a cooler with lots of ice. LOTS. So there's no smell. It's airtight closed too.
Frankly I see no problem with using public transportation to and from your fishing hole. Like you point out that's what ice and a well insulated ice chest are for. In these economic times one needs to do what is the most frugal for their pocket and comfort I should think. My hat's off to you. You are a "true fisherman".

r. zimm

You had better not have any hooks on your rod when using the bus! Just what we all need is for someone to get on a city bus with a fishing road and there's a lure tied on the line and the bus hits a pothole then the lure comes away from the rod and swings around, then it catches some poor kid and pulls out his eyeball!

B

bigal3

You had better not have any hooks on your rod when using the bus! Just what we all need is for someone to get on a city bus with a fishing road and there's a lure tied on the line and the bus hits a pothole then the lure comes away from the rod and swings around, then it catches some poor kid and pulls out his eyeball!
I agree with your premise about the possibility you state however, a true fisherman who rides a bus to his or her favorite fishing hole doesn't rig his or her pole until they arrive at their favorite spot whether they ride a bus or drive their personal vehicle.

Esperahol

Children are too pampered today - losing an eyeball would make them more self-sufficient. It would also teach them to work on their reflexes and stop being so tall and oddly placed as for the above senario to occur. That said I'm pretty sure most people do not in fact walk about with hooks on their lines just because it's too easy to catch that in the wrong places.

NickJ

I never use the bus when traveling to my favorite fishing spot. Always the train, and I never have any sharp objects exposed when doing so, including fishing gear. Although folks who would do something this irresponsible, are the same people who wrecklessly swing their umbrellas around while on the train or walking down the street.

BigBigFan

Fishing can cost whatever you want it to. A stick, string and worm are free while the top of the line gear will cost you a fortune. My advice is to start out with the basics, a cheap rod, a good variety of different lures and a lot of patience. Be mindful of how much commotion you cause on the boat or dock too, fish are sensitive to noise and will spook easily. If you're up there laughing hard and moving around you're not likely to get a catch except for deep sea fishing, maybe.

NickJ

Which is why drunk fishing is never a good idea. If you get a bit buzzed, your actions will spook the fish. And if you fall overboard...that'll really send em away lol. I know a guy who takes his cellphone with him while fishing and chats on it a lot while fishing. He catches a lot of fish, so I guess perhaps he's not a loud talker.

BigBigFan

Heh, maybe if you're drunk enough you can put on a show for the fishes? Just kidding, in all seriousness alcohol and water do not mix, drowning is always a very real possibility even when sober so don't do it.

Esperahol

Which is why drunk fishing is never a good idea. If you get a bit buzzed, your actions will spook the fish. And if you fall overboard...that'll really send em away lol. I know a guy who takes his cellphone with him while fishing and chats on it a lot while fishing. He catches a lot of fish, so I guess perhaps he's not a loud talker.

Drunk fishing is never a good idea because it takes people's natural stupidity and amplifies it to a ridiculous level. So the guy who never knows how to deal with his outboard engine screws up even more. The guy who sucks at staying in the boat topples over even faster. Etc.