• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

Do you bring music on your fishing boat or do you prefer silence?

I know I personally have a preference for silence when I fish. Nothing against having music or any other entertainment. But it's been something I've been use to ever since I was young because my father and grandfather never brought anything with them either when they took me fishing with them.

NickJ

I bring my IPOD or MP3 player a lot of times. I have to make sure it's readily charged up though. Because sometimes if it isn't...it'll run down on me. I know some folks who bring small radios still. I'm like wtf?

sillylucy

I like silence when I fish. I want time to reflect and think about things while in nature. I keep the ipod at home or only listen to it when I am at the gym. Besides, sometimes you can't hear the water splashing around or hear your pole drop if you are busy blasting music. I once lost a fish that way, so never again!

Karen May Jones

I was always told that noise scares the fish. Is this not true? If I were going to take some tunes with me, it would be in a way that the fish wouldn't be able to hear or feel vibrations from it. I would definitely be holding my pole at all times when I fish, if I have my hook in the water! I think a lot of people lose their poles because they are more focused on getting drunk. lol

B

bigal3

I have fished all over the world and I have always had a radio or some small radio or music playing device with me. I would however use ear phones or now days "ear buds". I also wanted to catch fish and I did not want to scare them away. Sound does travel over and in water very well.

r. zimm

These days it is easy to listen privately which will not scare the fish. Putting a big old boom box on the transom and turning up the bass really load will transfer through the hull and into the water. Some modern boats come with sound systems built in plus you can retrofit them into yours. Sound travels way farther in water so that could scare away the fish. It might attract sharks though.

B

bigal3

I could not agree more. I use ear buds or head phones when I do have music with me. The shark thing I saw with my own eyes while fishing on a friend's boat. We had the music up kind of loud on the open ocean and we wondered why several tiger sharks kept following us and there was no bait in the water. I would say your statement about them is VERY accurate.

Esperahol

I carry an mp3 player, but generally I leave it off because I like to listen to the water and the breeze. Other times however I turn it on low and set my cap over my face. Napping on the boat or the shore or once the pier.

turtlesong

Silence allows me to hear the rippling waters and gentle winds. It helps me focus on what I'm doing, so I prefer that to bringing music along with me. If I feel like listening to a song, I can usually just hum a tune. I try not to make too much noise though because it might scare the fish away.

Also, fishing is a chance to get away from it all. It's a moment to reflect on my inner thoughts.

Nahum

Silence is golden, as the old saying goes. One of the joys of being out in the wild, particularly fishing, is the peace and quiet. As such, no music for me, thank you.

cyberpuppet

I have to say on a boat with flat(ish) water and sun and blue sky I love to have Pink Floyd playing softly. Not necessarily while there is fish action happening but during quiet times when I can just sit back and chill.

Nickesha Bailey

Those phones or players are charged up and the idea of having a music face off is usually the high topic of discussion on land but for some reason when we all get out there no one remembers or care to indulge no matter how much i remind them. I entertain with my type of music though depending on how the catch is, it may come across as dull or exciting, that's how my buddies are.

Nickesha Bailey

We have some extra grumpy persons with us at times who view females with them as extra baggage, none the less i make the most out of the experience.

cyberpuppet

We have some extra grumpy persons with us at times who view females with them as extra baggage, none the less i make the most out of the experience.
Are they they type that get even more grumpy when the women outfish them :whistle:
I try to make sure I always carry my weight - whether its rigging up or gutting and cleaning or just fishing.

Strykstar

When I'm fishing I usually have an earbud plugged into my phone where I have some podcasts playing, just one though, I like to keep one ear clear to hear what's going on around me.
That's if no one else is around me though, if I have company I usually get pretty chatty.