• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

Ever get hit by a storm?

Esperahol

Anyone besides me ever get hit by a storm while they were out on the water? I was on the ocean the last time I got caught by a storm - a southwester with waves big enough to - actually I don't think I can come up with anything clever enough. Anyway it was horrifying and I may have made a vow to never, ever, ever go near a boat on the ocean for as long as I live. Perhaps. Before that I was on a pretty good sized lake with Rick and we're just watching this storm form up with lightening flickering underneath it like something out of a horror movie or Nova or something. That didn't keep me from going back the next day... then again maybe I just don't like the idea of drowning. Electrocution is apparently cool.

That's never happened to me. And I'm damn sure glad it never did. The boats we've used in the past I wouldn't call "storm ready". But that's why we check the weather reports the day before we ever head out fishing.

I haven't experienced this and I am happy for that. I do not really have the strongest mind to control such disaster in the middle of the sea. That is also the reason why I do not really go beyond my limits from the shore. On the other hand, I would love to hear some stories from those persons who have actually experienced it. :)

BigBigFan

I was hit by a rainstorm and kept right on fishing. Then again I like to fish in lakes and rivers and not in the ocean where the really big waves tend to swell up quickly. I love being on the water but I respect it enough to know that I need to stay close enough to land to be able to swim my way back if I had to. Call me chicken :)

495Northbound

My very first time ocean fishing was a freaking disaster. I got really religious during that trip (up until we got back), and made some promises to God that we both knew were damned lies rolling off my lips :rolleyes: ("Please, if you just let me survive this....") Yeah, and once we reached land and got to kiss the ground, all was forgotten (and apparently forgiven). I did learn one thing on that trip: Seasickness does NOT immediately stop once you're off the water.

NickJ

Only once. It was a brief sun shower. Lasted about 5 minutes. I am very good at keeping up with the weather on a fishing day. I will not get geared up, prepped, and ready to go fishing just to have mother nature drop a thunderstorm on me. I've actually been rained out of more BBQ's than fishing trips.

Esperahol

My very first time ocean fishing was a freaking disaster. I got really religious during that trip (up until we got back), and made some promises to God that we both knew were damned lies rolling off my lips :rolleyes: ("Please, if you just let me survive this....") Yeah, and once we reached land and got to kiss the ground, all was forgotten (and apparently forgiven). I did learn one thing on that trip: Seasickness does NOT immediately stop once you're off the water.

Religion tends to crop up at these times, funny how that works out. That said you are correct in stating that seasickness tends to linger. I had more issues with sea water that may have been inadvertantly misplaced while I possibly screamed like a little girl in a horror movie. I couldn't say.

Jatelo2

I count myself lucky that I haven't encountered storm in my fishing expeditions! I think this is because I haven't taken the leap of faith to undertake boat fishing! Sorry anyway, I hope that it didn't ultimately discourage you!

Esperahol

I count myself lucky that I haven't encountered storm in my fishing expeditions! I think this is because I haven't taken the leap of faith to undertake boat fishing! Sorry anyway, I hope that it didn't ultimately discourage you!

Discouraged? No. Curled into a little ball mentally the next time I went out on the water? Yes. I've gotten over it, but I am a bit religious about the weather channel now - and I'm okay with that.

B

bigal3

There have been a few times I was caught in a storm while fishing on my boat. Fortunately my little bass boat was very sea worthy. My friend and I got wet but we returned safely with no mishaps. I have to admit it got a little hairy out there though.

NickJ

Your boat AND the waters saved you. You happened to not be in waters that were too powerful for your particular watercraft.

B

bigal3

That's true, you are correct and I am truly thankful for that. Had I owned a lesser boat I might be not be here to write about it.

NickJ

Yep. Should also keep a radio and tv handy so next time you go fishing, you can make sure it'll be clear and calm waters out there.

dinarac

I never got hit by a storm, but I fell off the boat into the sea in the middle of January...very unpleasant experience.

B

bigal3

Yep. Should also keep a radio and tv handy so next time you go fishing, you can make sure it'll be clear and calm waters out there.
That is exactly what I did after that experience. I bought a combination CB/broadcast radio so I could keep up with weather conditions before I went out and while I am on the water. I'm really not into swimming back to shore. It would be hard to laugh that one off.(n)