• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

Fishing tournaments

Sea81

I haven't, but I'd like to! What area are you in? What time of year do they usually take place or are they year round?

I haven't, but I'd like to! What area are you in? What time of year do they usually take place or are they year round?

I'm in New York. The only competitions we usually have fishing wise take place in the spring and summer. We don't do colder season fishing well out here lol. So even if I wanted to, I'd pretty much have to wait until at least late March competition wise.

I haven't too but this is really interesting. Unfortunately, there's nu such contests here in our area. I've heard one town here does have fishing contests. The fisherman who has the biggest catch of the day will win and they are using big boats to go fishing.

I haven't too but this is really interesting. Unfortunately, there's nu such contests here in our area. I've heard one town here does have fishing contests. The fisherman who has the biggest catch of the day will win and they are using big boats to go fishing.

You should go out and try to compete then. It's not like there is much pressure. It isn't anything different than when you're fishing with friends, family, or alone. Just...there is possible money to be won lol

Esperahol

Yeah, I came in third a couple of times and first once. Its been a couple of years since I bothered. I may give it a go in the future, but I'm focused on other pursuits right now.

NickJ

I'd compete in some if the cash prize were big enough. Like as big as some of the poker tournament winnings.

If there's an entry fee and it is high then I would probably just pass. I am not that good in fishing so I will just try my luck if the tournament is free for all with no entry fee. I would not risk my bucks for a tournament that I know I have a very slim chance to win. :D

NickJ

But that would more than likely mean an entry fee. Which would probably be fairly high. Would you still compete?

Depends on what your definition of "high" is. I'd pay $200 to compete. But anything over the $500 range would make me take a few steps back and wonder if it's really worth it.

Depends on what your definition of "high" is. I'd pay $200 to compete. But anything over the $500 range would make me take a few steps back and wonder if it's really worth it.

That's the thing, I'm not sure how it is in other parts of the country, but here in the city, you really will really pay out your behind. Sometimes, over that $500 threshold you speak of. But I admit, the prize money is insanely high. I'm talking quarter million high.

r. zimm

Sometimes the tournament is for a charity so all the entry fees go to the cause and the prizes are donated by local business or even manufacturers. It can be a great excuse to get on the water and if you do not have a boat you can get onto one if you buy into a team. Might meet some great new fishing buddies!

NickJ

I'd enter a charity tournament depending on what charity it was. And I know where and who the contributions are going to. Can't be too careful these days.

I'd enter a charity tournament depending on what charity it was. And I know where and who the contributions are going to. Can't be too careful these days.

I have to agree with this comment. Fishing for charity is all well and good. But there are far too many faux charities that don't do what they say they will with the earnings.

NickJ

Yep. Millions of dollars is raised, and only about 5% of that reaches the folks it's supposed to reach. The rest is pocketed by shady characters.