• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

Good place for fishing tackles and other gear

NickJ

My uncle gets ALL of our fishing equipment online. The stores around here don't really have a whole lot of options, and what they do have is REALLY expensive. We can get stuff online for a lot cheaper.

I buy online as well. Sometimes from Amazon or Ebay. It's more convenient, and the prices are a lot more in my range as well. But you have to do your homework to make sure your seller in this or any online transaction is on the up and up. And isn't selling you bad equipment.

B

bigal3

When it comes to fishing gear I prefer to see it, touch it and know what I am spending my hard earned money on. In addition to that I am impatient and I really do not want to wait for someone to send it to me. I trust my eyes and hands with the gear when I manipulate it in the store before I buy it for its feel and operating ease. You can't do that on line. In addition I don't have to pay an additional shipping cost.

teamrose

Here in Fort Lauderdale, we have a wonderful place called the Swap Shop. It is a modern day flea market with thousands of vendors selling everything under the sun. It is a perfect place to shop for fishing gear and tackle. The vendors are not your run of the mill flea market scum, but mostly reputable merchants that relocated from colder climates or immigrants.

B

bigal3

In Hawaii where I lived for a number of years they also have what they call "Swap Meets" which are much like a flea market. There I could find essentials like hooks, weights and an assortment of lures all of which were at a much reduced price compared to a retail store. On many of the lures I got there I was lucky to catch some nice fish and the price was right.

teamrose

Swap meets get bad press from people thinking the only thing you're going to find is other people's junk. This is far from the truth. Sure there is a lot of junk at the meets, but other people's junk is many people's treasure. With the advent of the internet and cell phone apps, it is possible to know exactly how big of a savings you're getting while in front of the vendor. I've used my cell phone to scan various poles to see what they're selling for currently on ebay. When you can see an actual bargain reduced item with a savings of up to 70% and sometimes even more, it's a no brainer whether to buy or not.

Although a new problem is developing at the swap meets. Like the thrift shops all have computers now and price their merchandise accordingly. Many of the dealers at the outside markets are researching their items via the cell phone and likewise pricing things accordingly. Nothing stays the same.

NickJ

Swap meets get bad press from people thinking the only thing you're going to find is other people's junk. This is far from the truth. Sure there is a lot of junk at the meets, but other people's junk is many people's treasure. With the advent of the internet and cell phone apps, it is possible to know exactly how big of a savings you're getting while in front of the vendor. I've used my cell phone to scan various poles to see what they're selling for currently on ebay. When you can see an actual bargain reduced item with a savings of up to 70% and sometimes even more, it's a no brainer whether to buy or not.

Although a new problem is developing at the swap meets. Like the thrift shops all have computers now and price their merchandise accordingly. Many of the dealers at the outside markets are researching their items via the cell phone and likewise pricing things accordingly. Nothing stays the same.

Well then they should drop the name "Swap", and just call it "The Meet". :D

B

bigal3

In reality that may not be a bad thing. I think it probably balances out in the end. If the seller sees on line his or her prices are too high they can and often will adjust their prices accordingly. However it also works out the other way too. It comes down to in the end to "LET THE BUYER BEWARE".:)