• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

Rocky shore or sand?

Esperahol

Do you prefer to fish off of rocky areas or off the more traditional sandy sort of beaches? I love rocky areas because I enjoy the climb, the fact I'll generally be left alone, and the fact it'll generally be a lot more peaceful all things considered. Also even without fish there is generally something to be found like shellfish or the like.

r. zimm

You have points there and I did fish the rocky areas when younger. Now that I'm older I don't like the thought of slipping into a crevasse with all my gear and trying to get out. Those darn rocks are slippery!

Anyway, where I am (SE Florida) there are not that many places so the sandy beach is the way to go!

I prefer the sand. But the problem is the sandy areas normally have no spots to brace yourself if you catch something big. With rocky shores, you don't have that problem. But it's killer on the feet.

I would say that you could find more fish on sandy areas so I'll choose areas that are sandy. Furthermore, I feel safer when in a sandy area than in a rocky one. It is dangerous to be in a rocky area because you could hurt your feet when you are struggling to lift your catch and worse you could slipped and you could hurt your head with those rocks.

I would say that you could find more fish on sandy areas so I'll choose areas that are sandy. Furthermore, I feel safer when in a sandy area than in a rocky one. It is dangerous to be in a rocky area because you could hurt your feet when you are struggling to lift your catch and worse you could slipped and you could hurt your head with those rocks.

That's true, there is the safety issue. But on the flip side, the rocky terrain gives you a leverage advantage on the fish when reeling it in.

Esperahol

I'm a climber and really it isn't too hard to find a nice area to set up in. I generally have more difficulty clambering up and down from whatever perch I come upon. I mean look at um... River Monsters. That guy is constantly in areas that are seriously likely to kill him, but there he is. As long as you take precautions and don't make haste you're not likely to end up a corpse.

NickJ

I prefer sandy areas. Makes fishing more fun when you're not worried about spraining an ankle while you're moving about. Sand is excellent for keeping your feet stuck in place. A jagged rock could cause you a bad ankle sprain and then you won't be getting yourself home. Also rocky areas are full of wild animals and poisonous insects. Not saying sandy areas are fully safe, but a lot safer when you really need to focus on catching fish, and not being bitten by a rattle snake or black widow.

Esperahol

Also rocky areas are full of wild animals and poisonous insects. Not saying sandy areas are fully safe, but a lot safer when you really need to focus on catching fish, and not being bitten by a rattle snake or black widow.

Hmm? Ah, I mean rocky shore like the ocean versus sandy beach like the ocean - I'm not talking about the woods or anything. Then again I don't think rattle snakes or black widows are generally a big issue regarding these areas. Not around water... I can understand your worries regarding this.

NickJ

I know you meant rocky shore. But still those animals do come around. Any attack-minded life form is gonna attack if it sees prey. And I'm pretty sure they're skilled enough to bite someone and avoid falling into the water at the same time.

Esperahol

I know you meant rocky shore. But still those animals do come around. Any attack-minded life form is gonna attack if it sees prey. And I'm pretty sure they're skilled enough to bite someone and avoid falling into the water at the same time.

There is only one way to know for sure - you are going to have to go out there. It is a far, far better thing you do now then you have ever done before and I salute you sire. Godspeed!

NickJ

Heh. I have gone in the past. I've brought bug spray with me and also a big wooden plank. Just so I can take a whack at anything that comes at me insect or snake wise.

irenen1

On the Southcoast of New England, rocky jetties are the places to fish. Tautog, striped bass, eels and flounder are good catches.
Come fall sandy beaches on the east side of Cape Cod are where you catch the big bluefish.

BigBigFan

Definitely a rocky shore - Walleye, Catfish and Smallmouth Bass love them. A jig works best, especially near shore. Tip: look for trees close to the waterline, believe it or not the fish love to be in shallow water under cover of shade from the trees. The wind blows things into the water occasionally and they've learned to forage near shore.

Gift3d

usually when its rocky there is deeper pockets of water, with the sand (depending on where you are of course) it is usually a gradual slope getting deeper the farther out.

I prefer rocks :)