• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

Salt Water Vs Fresh Water Fish

teamrose

A few of us were talking about fish and preference. I said as long as it comes out of the ocean, I like it and will eat it. Some of the fishermen, especially the ones without a boat said they only like fresh water fish.

The guys with boat access mostly agreed salt water fish is the best. Living in Florida with have both. It is just as easy to get salt water fish as it is to get fresh. So it remains a matter of taste.

Which do you guys prefer?

I prefer saltwater fishes. I have tasted a lot of both saltwater and freshwater fishes but sometimes freshwater fishes tastes like mud. Have you ever had that? I had it several times were the fishes I caught tasted like mud after I have grilled it.

teamrose

If the fish tasted like mud, perhaps you didn't clean it properly.We use lemons or lime juice to clean our fish after thoroughly washing it. That removes any chance of a mud like taste and allows the natural flavors of the fish to come through.

deansaliba

I have never done sea fishing yet (hoping to do it next year) but I would think the fish caught out there would be better tasting than the ones that swim in our rivers and canals here in the UK.

On a slightly different note: Am I the only one who doesn't eat the fish that he/she catches?

teamrose

Why on earth don't you eat the fish you personally catch. You know that fish is fresh. At the fish house the fish may be days old, contaminated and definitely over-priced.

Why on earth don't you eat the fish you personally catch. You know that fish is fresh. At the fish house the fish may be days old, contaminated and definitely over-priced.

Oddly enough, some fish are illegal to keep and you have to throw them back for being endangered.

teamrose

Well that's different. Of course you throw back the little fish and the ones on the endangered list. If we want to keep our oceans and lakes supplied we have to be smart.

BigBigFan

My very first time on a boat as a young kid was a charter experience in which everyone else threw up at least once. The captain and I were the only two people who did not throw up on the small trawler. Bunch of land lubbers!

I prefer fishing for both smallmouth bass and Walleye from shore using Jigs, they strike hard and fight all the way in if you can find a rocky outcropping that they use as shelter. Fast moving rivers are surprisingly good for catching Walleye, they rest behind rocks and river bends so pinpointing where you should fish is a lot easier than on a calm lake.

Esperahol

I prefer freshwater because of the fish I like to eat. Saltwater fish are good, but I really just prefer freshwater.

NickJ

It depends on your tastes. And also how the fish is prepared. I prefer to deep-fry, or broil mine. It always tastes good. But then again, I stick to certain kinds of fish. Mostly Porgies, whitings, catfish, snapper, or salmon.

ibanezer

As far as eating I have absolutely no preference, other than I won't eat catfish. I know some people who will actually eat carp, yuck, I can't do it. Now, when it comes to the actual sport of fishing I like both as well. It's nearly two different hobbies in the same. I think that there's benefits to both, and since I live in the midwest, I don't always get to go salt water fishing, so, when I do I really enjoy it.

NickJ

Catfish is good. You don't know what you're missing. The great part about catfish is they don't have many bones. Makes eating it fried more fun. Just gotta be sure to lop off the head and tail, and remove that gross skin. Once that's done, they fry up great!

B

bigal3

I prefer saltwater fishes. I have tasted a lot of both saltwater and freshwater fishes but sometimes freshwater fishes tastes like mud. Have you ever had that? I had it several times were the fishes I caught tasted like mud after I have grilled it.
When it comes to fresh water fish it really depends on what kind of fish it is. For example Carp and catfish can taste "muddy" if their environment is muddy water. If catfish come from a fairly clear lake their meat will not have that muddy taste and likewise for carp. Both fish are bottom feeders for the most part.

NickJ

Fishing in muddy lakes in general is a bad idea unless you don't plan to eat what you catch. If you're fishing for sport, then it's all about weight, not flavor.

Jatelo2

I think this is an unfair comparison. How can one dare compare the 'fresh' and the 'Salty'! Anyway I should avoid the side-shows and and confidently confess my love for fresh water fish. I love Tilapia with all my heart :D