• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

Salt Water Vs Fresh Water Fish

Jatelo2

As far as eating I have absolutely no preference, other than I won't eat catfish. I know some people who will actually eat carp, yuck, I can't do it. Now, when it comes to the actual sport of fishing I like both as well. It's nearly two different hobbies in the same. I think that there's benefits to both, and since I live in the midwest, I don't always get to go salt water fishing, so, when I do I really enjoy it.

What are your reservations against Catfish? I just can't bear the somewhat ugly head :D , but so long as the head had been removed-this is my second favorite fish after Tilapia..

r. zimm

Well, I can say that pound for pound (or liter for liter) saltwater fish fight much harder than fresh water fish. I have more fun catching larger saltwater bait fish weighing less that a pound like blue runners than 3 pound largemouth bass!

But hey, fishing is fun and catching anything is much better than catching a cold!

I think salmon is my favorite fish to eat, and that qualifies as salt water. However, I grew up in North Idaho, and we fished in lake Pend Oreille, and they have some huge Kamloops, which are like a landlocked salmon. I never had the big boat you need to go after those big guys, but even the smaller trout that you can catch from shore were delicious. Smoked Kokanee is abut as good as it gets, in my estimation.

CLCharms

I have no preference, I love both fresh and salt water fish. As long as the fish is prepared properly, seasoned well, and smells delicious, I am eating.

Arthnel

I have to go with salt water fish. The reason is because I find that when seasoning fresh water fish it is difficult to get it down into the meat itself, so when eating you get that flavor hit on the surface but it goes bland as you go through. With seawater fish they seem to be already seasoned throughout so it gives my taste buds more joy from the surface all the way.