• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

Spanish Mackerel

pilot2fly

I've never seen Spanish mackerel caught from the beach, but they are usually close to the surf. How have you fared when fishing for them? We were fishing close to shore one time and caught a boat load of them when we were trolling the water.

leyash

I've tried twice. Me and some friends went and it just didn't work out. The funny thing was, we had a guy there that really knew what he was doing, and it still didn't work out for us.

pilot2fly

Yeah it depends on the time of day. We went out during the first week of July and got a few nibbles, but we couldn't catch anything. It was around 11 AM well after typical feeding time.

Jatelo2

Apart from hearing that they are one of the tastiest of the Mackerels, I must admit I haven't had that opportunity to catch it. I would love to hear more, now that you have personal experience with them :)

Thranduil

Apart from hearing that they are one of the tastiest of the Mackerels, I must admit I haven't had that opportunity to catch it. I would love to hear more, now that you have personal experience with them :)
I can confirm that they are the tastiest. I prefer to smoke them. Sadly, I've never caught one myself, just bought them fresh from the market.

Jatelo2

I can confirm that they are the tastiest. I prefer to smoke them. Sadly, I've never caught one myself, just bought them fresh from the market.

You are a head of me since I've neither caught not touched a Spanish Mackerel! So you are confirming having eaten them...I feel jealous :D

Thranduil

Mmm, smoked spanish mackerel. Is it really that good? What would you recommend eating as a side dish?
Hmm.. generally I like it cold. I like it with fresh bread and a tomato, cucumber and red onion salsa. If I'm eating it hot, it's with mash and peas. But whatever you do, first try out this. This dip blows away my mind every single time.

Also, it really is that good.

Jatelo2

Hmm.. generally I like it cold. I like it with fresh bread and a tomato, cucumber and red onion salsa. If I'm eating it hot, it's with mash and peas. But whatever you do, first try out this. This dip blows away my mind every single time.

You sound like you have some background in recipe...I feel more motivated to find and eat this fish cold or hot:)

leyash

Wow... that sounds REALLY amazing. It sounds kind of like a bagel with cream cheese would be an excellent option as well.

NickJ

There are plenty of fish out there that many fisherman have yet to see or catch. Tis the wonder of the world we live in.

To be honest, I have never seen the actual Spanish Meckerel and I don;t think that it could be living on our cost. It's pretty hot in here. Can they survive in a tropic shore?

vivi1

We catch them in Orange Beach by trolling for them from the back of the boat. They are easy to catch and put up zero fight. Some of the fishermen I know can them with hot peppers after pressure cooking them. Fried is easy and fast, so I'll stick with that.

NickJ

I hate hot peppers. I hate hot anything. I think eating should be a joyful experience, not a painful one.