• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

What is your favorite thing about shore/beach fishing?

pilot2fly

You don't end up getting rocked all over the place. I don't suffer from sea sickness anymore, but I know people that do. It ruins the whole trip.

kristian2012

shore fishing is one of a great experience i have had here in the Philippines,..the "baling" technique is done by casting the fish net in the sea, two ropes at the opposite sides will be pulled by groups of people in the shore. despite the pain that i felt while participating in the pulling part, it was very rewarding when i saw thee fishes that we caught and it served as our dinner,. aside from that,.the value of teamwork and patience are developed from among the fishers, because without unity and cooperative participation in pulling the ropes at both ends, the fishes are most likely to escape from the nets once it is displaced or dislocated.

Jessie

People in the shore of Batangas is also doing that kind of fishing. There are 5 people each in both ends pulling the net cast at least 30 meters away from the shore. You can see the excitement in their face when the catch is abundant.

Jessie

People in the shore of Batangas is also doing that kind of fishing. There are 5 people each in both ends pulling the net cast at least 30 meters away from the shore. You can see the excitement in their face when the catch is abundant.

Jessie

People in the shore of Batangas is also doing that kind of fishing. There are 5 people each in both ends pulling the net cast at least 30 meters away from the shore. You can see the excitement in their face when the catch is abundant. :)

pilot2fly

We do that here in the states too in a similar manner, but with just one line that tightens the net. If we're trying to catch bait fish, we will throw a net out over them to trap them. We put them in a live tank and then use them on the fishing line to catch bigger fish.

Jatelo2

Focusing on its financial aspect, shore-fishing is quite cheaper compared to boat fishing. One doesn't need a boat, which can sometimes be expensive. Bottom-line I just love the economy part of it without denying that there are cons such as little catch:)

Thranduil

To me, fishing is more like a meditation than a sport. I like to think when I'm fishing. Fishing on a boat has it's own merit. I feel totally cut of from the world when I'm meditating on a boat. Yet, even those gentle rocking waves are enough to derail that gentle tendril of thought. That's why I absolutely love shore fishing.

Jatelo2

To me, fishing is more like a meditation than a sport. I like to think when I'm fishing. Fishing on a boat has it's own merit. I feel totally cut of from the world when I'm meditating on a boat. Yet, even those gentle rocking waves are enough to derail that gentle tendril of thought. That's why I absolutely love shore fishing.

I think I kind of like your viewing of it as meditation. The problem is that you might meditate a lot and get so lost in your thoughts that you forget even about the fishing itself :D

Thranduil

I think I kind of like your viewing of it as meditation. The problem is that you might meditate a lot and get so lost in your thoughts that you forget even about the fishing itself :D
To me it feels more like playing a laid back game. You set the pieces according to the scenario and wait for the action. And man, there is a lot of waiting! Thinking/Meditating feels like a productive, entertaining and therapeutic way to pass the time.

Jatelo2

To me it feels more like playing a laid back game. You set the pieces according to the scenario and wait for the action. And man, there is a lot of waiting! Thinking/Meditating feels like a productive, entertaining and therapeutic way to pass the time.

One thing I can't dispute is the waiting and the patience and finally, the frustration when you catch nothing. I used to go fishing in a river, since I have the phobia of large body of water and the only thing I remember are the days when I could wait for hours just to catch nothing and go home empty...

leyash

See, and I feel the same way! The motion sickness for me is one of the WORST things about boat fishing. It gets me every single time. With beach fishing, it doesn't bother me, because I'm not being moved around everywhere, getting ill.

Thranduil

One thing I can't dispute is the waiting and the patience and finally, the frustration when you catch nothing. I used to go fishing in a river, since I have the phobia of large body of water and the only thing I remember are the days when I could wait for hours just to catch nothing and go home empty...

Though I very much feel you, the frustration and anger because of failure is probably what increases the thrill and happiness of a catch, imho.

splash

I can remember many happy days spent on the coast of Natal in South Africa as a child shore fishing with my Dad. It was preferable for us because it was a safe way to fish in the ocean as a young family We would most often cook and eat what we caught right there on the beach, making a perfect end to the day. I don't particularly like being stuck on a boat with no option to leave anyway.