• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

What is your favorite thing about shore/beach fishing?

My favorite thing about it would probably be the safety of it. One a boat, you run the risk of being stranded if an ore falls in the water. And I know I'm not particularly fond of having to step waist deep into those dirty lakes.

mehmoodkhan-777

when i went to beach ot shore I always have fun drinking and making fun of Karaoke singers at the Porthole Pub while fishing, there were a man with us when i last visit the shore who runs side business selling BBQ out of a portable smoker/shack on the right hand side of the main road as you are turning left into Ocean Shores. we enjoyed his company too on our boat.

pilot2fly

You do run the risk of being stranded in a boat. If you lose electricity, you can't radio for help. That is a big drawback. Shore fishing is safe because you can't get lost at sea and you'll survive almost no matter what.

Jatelo2

You do run the risk of being stranded in a boat. If you lose electricity, you can't radio for help. That is a big drawback. Shore fishing is safe because you can't get lost at sea and you'll survive almost no matter what.

Oh no...I can't imagine what my condition would be if caught in the situation you've described. Considering that I fear large body of water let alone being stranded in the sea.

Esperahol

It depends on the beach or shore, kind of like how well I enjoy boat fishing depends on the waters I'm on. But in general I like that if I need a stretch I can prop the line and walk about. People come over for conversations and to share drinks. Sometimes there are spontaneous games of fetch with pets I don't know. It's fun.

The only reason I guess is because this is way safer than boat fishing. You know that you never know what could happen if you are in the middle of the sea or the river. The downside is that the chance of catching a good-size fish is lower compared when you are in a boat.

r. zimm

It can be much more relaxing than being on a boat. If you are piloting the boat you have to concentrate on that since everyone's safety is your job and if you are riding in the boat you should be helping to get things ready to fish so you are busy too.

Shore fishing by yourself is great on a deserted beach but can be annoying if there are lots of other fishermen trying to wet a line.

NickJ

Of course not having to rent a boat or drag one out to the water. It's a hassle. Also the lack of rocking, and you don't have to worry about floating out too far into the lake. In a boat, you constantly have to watch how far away you are from land.

teamrose

Shore based fishing is cheaper. No gas. You can clean and cook your catch right there while waiting for more. If the fish are not biting, it is easy to leave and find another hole. Safety first. One should never go boat fishing alone. On the shore it is easy to be one with nature.

Yes NickJ you are right. Obviously when you are in a boat, you are not as comfortable as when you can feel your feet on the land. When you are more comfortable you enjoy your time better. I am not saying that boat fishing is not fun but I am enjoying shore fishing more.

NickJ

Shore based fishing is cheaper. No gas. You can clean and cook your catch right there while waiting for more. If the fish are not biting, it is easy to leave and find another hole. Safety first. One should never go boat fishing alone. On the shore it is easy to be one with nature.

There are still people who go it alone. I think their thinking is, if me and this partner of mine have an argument. I don't wanna have to cut the trip short because they wanna go back home now.

B

bigal3

Shore/beach fishing for me is one of the most relaxing activities I engage in. If I catch fish it just makes it better but it isn't a must. I just go to get out of the house and enjoy the fresh air and nature for awhile.

NickJ

If you live in an area with actual fresh air. Some places have so many plants and factories all over the place. Fresh air is scarce.

Gwydion

Depending on the time of year and the species you are after, you can have very different experiences with shore fishing. I mostly fish off the coasts of North Wales, where you have quite a variety of fish. In summer the mackerel shoal in and you can have great fun with light tackle. The shoals can be so thick that you basically cast and catch three or four fish as you reel in and this can last for a couple of hours. Exhausting, but a great workout. At the same time I have used fly-fishing gear to go after mackerel, which makes it much more of a sporting proposition.

On the extreme, there are some long sandy beaches where you cast out several rods at low tide, then wait for the tide to come in in the hope of catching bottom-feeders like rays and flatfish. Excellent eating and quite hard work to get them in, but there is a long period of waiting where you can sit and read or just enjoy the scenery.

The more typical fishing where I grew up is on the many rocky outcrops that dot the coastline. Then I tend to take heavier beach rods and fish with bait for larger species whilst taking light spinning equipment for garfish, pollack, bass and mackerel. That way you can intersperse periods of waiting with periods of activity. It's surprising just how quickly the day disappears on a trip like that.