• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

What kind of boat do you use?

pilot2fly

We have a 23 foot Seafox 230 with a small cabin. It's not the ideal fishing boat, but it works well. It has four rod holders, two on each side of the boat. There is no hard top, so you can't mount them there.

Jatelo2

We have a 23 foot Seafox 230 with a small cabin. It's not the ideal fishing boat, but it works well. It has four rod holders, two on each side of the boat. There is no hard top, so you can't mount them there.

It is unfortunate that not all can have a boat. Just to know...what is the estimated cost of your boat? Kind of interested in owning one eventually :)

leyash

Unfortunately, I'm not in any position to have a boat right now, either. It's nice to dream about one day. :)

Thranduil

Whenever I've gone fishing with my friend, we rented a boat from a local fisherman. It was a small narrow affair with room to seat four.

We live in a city part of New York. So it's not very convenient for us to own a boat. Instead, we usually have to get a rental when we're going fishing.

Jatelo2

We live in a city part of New York. So it's not very convenient for us to own a boat. Instead, we usually have to get a rental when we're going fishing.

And how are the rental fees? Or is it dependent on the size of the boat and let's say its capabilities?

pilot2fly

When we got our boat new it was around $40,000 ten years ago. Now we're trying to sell it for $18,000 with no luck. We had some guy call from Saudi Arabia wanting to buy it and we immediately knew he was trying to scam us.

Jatelo2

When we got our boat new it was around $40,000 ten years ago. Now we're trying to sell it for $18,000 with no luck. We had some guy call from Saudi Arabia wanting to buy it and we immediately knew he was trying to scam us.

What type of boat is that costly? I thought that things were a little bit cheaper ten years ago...and this Saudi guy what qualified him to be a scam?

leyash

Renting a boat is a great idea! I'd never even thought about doing that! I wonder what something like that costs around here.

Renting a boat is a great idea! I'd never even thought about doing that! I wonder what something like that costs around here.

Well the prices vary between whether or not it's off season or not. Not to mention there is the issue of the deposit fee. But the thing with boating prices they usually charge by the hour packages. Like 3-5 hours is one package.

pilot2fly

The fact that he was from Saudi Arabia showed me real quick it was a scam. How was he going to get the boat over there? Why would he pay so much money to fly to the U.S. when he could get the same type of boat in his country? We asked him a lot of questions and he gave sketchy answers.

teamrose

When we go out for the day the cost is $500. It is usually 3 or 4 of us, so the price is okay. We have coolers with beer, lots of shrimp for bait and have always come come back with coolers full of fish. We usually lay another $50 on the captain as a tip.

Oh the boat that I use together with my father is just a small boat good for three. We do not really go far from the shore so I think we don't need a really big one. It's just made of wood.

james03x

I'm not a professional fisherman but sometimes i goes with my friends at weekend so we take a boat at rent for a day. That's pretty cool instead of have own boat.