• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

What kind of boat do you use?

teamrose

Unless you live on the mariner, live on the boat and make your living from the use of the boat, ownership is a total waste. I have a friend that is a captain of a boat, and she and her husband find the lifestyle suits them just fine. Most boat owner will tell you the happiest day of their lives was the day the bought their boats. Those same people will tell you, the second happiest day of their lives was the day they sold the darn thing. Unless you are incredibly wealthy, boat ownership is quite expensive.

When we go out for the day the cost is $500. It is usually 3 or 4 of us, so the price is okay. We have coolers with beer, lots of shrimp for bait and have always come come back with coolers full of fish. We usually lay another $50 on the captain as a tip.

So hos much can you usually get from all your catches? Could get profit from it? I mean you are paying at least $100 per person in just a single day of fishing. That sounds like you are really profiting well because you would not pay for that amount if you are not sure that you are gonna make more money from what you have spent.

teamrose

We go out for the sport. We are not commercial fishermen. You have to have a commercial license to sell the fish to restaurants. But on our last outing the captain caught a huge marlin and didn't release it, he sold it. We all just get to fill our coolers with fish. It is a savings, when you consider after cleaning and bagging for the freezer we wont have to buy fish for months. Also, a few neighbors will buy fish from us. My only profit is a great day on the sea and coming home with lots of fish to eat.

Well teamrose that sounds pretty fun. Yes I can imagine lots of fish I think you could save for more than a week of at least a meal a day. I mean it will be so hard to eat fish all day. :D I love the idea of selling it to your neighbors.

Shelton Sellers

I usually do the same as most on here when it comes to using a boat. I have only been deep sea fishing a handful of times and rent a boat when I decide to go out. We found a nice place that does rentals for ~$300 a day, and I bring 3 people with me. It's a fair price for the fun we have every time.

BigBigFan

I love to take my uncles Terhi 385 into the bay and run about from spot to spot. It fits 4 comfortably but is better suited for two with fishing rods. I wouldn't want to get caught out there when the big waves start rolling in though, it's too small to take much of a pounding. The fun factor is off the charts!

B

bigal3

When I owned a boat it was a seventeen foot "Speedliner" Bass Boat with a thirty-five h.p. Chrysler outboard motor. I fully rigged it for fresh water bass fishing. It had a "Lowrence" fish finder and almost all the comforts of home (smile). I MISS THAT BOAT EVEN TO THIS DAY! Oh well, life goes on I guess.

I don't have a boat either, and if we get one, it will probably be a little one for small lakes and ponds around here in Alabama. For a while, I lived in Western Washington along Lake Mayfield, and I had a little paddle boat that I got at Costco. I k pet it tied up at a log across the road from the house, and carried my fishing tackle over when I wanted to fish. I had to stay close to shore, but I trolled along, and used to get some nice trout, which I could cook for dinner. If I caught squawfish, I took those home also, and buried them in the garden, and the roses bloomed like crazy !

cmilliken

When freshwater fishing, I use a fifteen foot Sea Nymph. When I go open ocean tuna fishing, I usually rent a boat. For me, the costs are typically $150 for a day of fishing, at least from the fisherman whom I rent from