• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

Best time of day for fishing?

NickJ

The only problem with the mornings though is that sometimes it's frigid out there. You don't wanna even get out of bed on those artic cold mornings. Much less get dressed and go fishing. Especially if you have a nicely heated and toasty house. Why go outside at all on a cold Saturday or Sunday morning?

deansaliba

I have found that evening is the best time in my area simply because the only place locally to fish the paths are full of very rude cyclists speeding up and down.

I have found that evening is the best time in my area simply because the only place locally to fish the paths are full of very rude cyclists speeding up and down.

But do you get any good catches doing it at that time? From the way it sounds, it's the best time of day for you personally rather than you catch ratio.

B

bigal3

Frankly I prefer night fishing especially when it comes to fishing in the ocean. The kind of fish I like, for example Leopard Shark are more likely caught at night along with some other good eating fish like Striped Bass when they are returning to fresh water to spawn.

BigBigFan

I was going to say that the best time of day for fishing is in the morning, as the sun rises, because it's when the fish are most hungry but you didn't ask about catching fish now did you? :) The best time of day to fish is when you can most easily get away and relax in your preferred fishing hole, catching fish really doesn't matter if you don't catch fish when you enjoy the sport.

NickJ

I don't see how you can say that. I always feel that a fishing trip where I come up empty is or was a waste of time. I enjoy fishing, as do people enjoy playing the game of football or basketball or baseball. But when your team loses, you're not gonna be a happy camper coming back into the locker room. So even if I don't catch the desired number of fish I had penciled in for that day, at least I will have caught something. That'll make it worth while.

B

bigal3

I don't see how you can say that. I always feel that a fishing trip where I come up empty is or was a waste of time. I enjoy fishing, as do people enjoy playing the game of football or basketball or baseball. But when your team loses, you're not gonna be a happy camper coming back into the locker room. So even if I don't catch the desired number of fish I had penciled in for that day, at least I will have caught something. That'll make it worth while.
O.k., I write corrected. Your are right when you said I would not be happy coming home empty handed. There have been too many time I did just that; come home in a bad mood from getting "skunked"(empty handed).
However even at that I still enjoyed the outing and being in nature.

Esperahol

I don't see how you can say that. I always feel that a fishing trip where I come up empty is or was a waste of time.

I personally don't mind not catching anything on a fishing trip. If I do then it's great, but if not I still had a great time being out there away form all the issues of the week.

B

bigal3

I personally don't mind not catching anything on a fishing trip. If I do then it's great, but if not I still had a great time being out there away form all the issues of the week.
Exactly! As I stated above sometime I do go home empty handed but I get over it. It is being out of the house doing something I truly enjoy doing that makes it worth while.(y):)

r. zimm

In SE Florida in the summer we would often fish at night. Much, much cooler than the middle of the day plus on a clear night with a full Moon you can see really well. During the day the Sun is so bright off the water it blinds you even with polarized sunglasses. Not to mention the sunburn!

B

bigal3

I've come to the conclusion that for me ANYTIME I can get away from the everyday stresses by going fishing and drowning a worm day or night I'll jump at that chance. What about you?:)

r. zimm

The other thing to consider (at least on the coast) is when the tide will change. Different fish feed at different parts of the tide cycle. Then you have to match it up with your schedule to see if you are off from work! That has always been my problem, I'll do all the investigations to find the perfect time to fish and it will be when I have to work!

Like you said though, better to fish when you can and hope for the best.

bazzie89

I love fishing in the late Summer evenings on lakes, you have that perfect moment when the water becomes like a mirror, slowly getting darker and darker whilst everything around you goes still and Quiet. I sit there until I can no longer see the float. At times like this the catching of a fish seems almost secondary to the pleasure of just being this close to nature.

dinarac

For most fish, early morning is the best, but some fish can't be caught during the day. I never caught a conger eel from shore during the day. Squids are biting better at night also if you are fishing from shore.