• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

Do worms still work?

NickJ

I normally use shrimp when I go fishing as bait but I am curious if anyone sill uses the garden variety worm to catch fish? Does that still work? Or have our fish friends wised up to it?

pilot2fly

Worms still work. We used to dig them up in the back yard when I was little. If you're fresh water fishing, they work quite well.

Esperahol

Sure. I personally like the nightcrawlers best. I mean I hate dealing with them, but I like how well they draw in the catch. pilot is correct though in saying that fresh water fish are easier to lure with it. Minnows work better for me in salt water.

NickJ

A lot of people have gone away from worms though since you know, they're icky and gross and all. And you have to dig them up yourself in some cases. I think digging up worms to use as bait is the fun and traditional part of fishing though. But finding a worm-infested spot can be a bit more difficult than usual sometimes.

I would also say that worms still work especially on fresh water fishes. A river is near on the place where I am staying before and I often pass by some neighbors trying to catch fishes with their old fishing rods. I still see them using worms as baits and I can still see them walking home with some fish hanging on their hands so I guess worms still work.

Esperahol

A lot of people have gone away from worms though since you know, they're icky and gross and all. And you have to dig them up yourself in some cases. I think digging up worms to use as bait is the fun and traditional part of fishing though. But finding a worm-infested spot can be a bit more difficult than usual sometimes.

How are you going to consider them icky? I mean are these people not cleaning their own catches or handling them? Fishing can be a gross experience all things considered, but there is nothing really wrong with any of it. I mean that's a lot of the fun if you want to get to the nub of it. Of course, I like hunting so ... I might have a different view of it all.

NickJ

Well there are a lot of metrosexuals who fish. And they aren't like the rugged guys. They don't like the feel of worms. I'm actually friends with some of these guys. I don't mind touching worms as long as they're earthworms. Now Leeches, I won't touch. I need as much of my blood as possible hehe. But there are some people who want to do fishing the easy way. And that includes using another kind of bait besides worms, or worse...plastic or rubber bait. I hate fake baiters the most.

Jatelo2

The worms still work and are what I prefer to use when going for shore fishing. I think they aren't just popular since many do not quite admire worms and might be even phobic towards them.

Heck yeah worms still work.

As long as it's something a fish will eat, it's bait and it works. And the best part is, it's free bait. You can gather worms up almost anytime and save yourself a trip to a supply store for bait.

NickJ

Yep. And the best time to gather up worms are after rainstorms. When the ground is wet and moist and the worms aren't that deep beneath the surface as they usually are.

Esperahol

Well there are a lot of metrosexuals who fish. And they aren't like the rugged guys. They don't like the feel of worms. I'm actually friends with some of these guys. I don't mind touching worms as long as they're earthworms. Now Leeches, I won't touch. I need as much of my blood as possible hehe. But there are some people who want to do fishing the easy way. And that includes using another kind of bait besides worms, or worse...plastic or rubber bait. I hate fake baiters the most.

Eh. I know girls who aren't that skittish about worms. Then again if texture is really an issue you can always just wear gloves. Oh, well everyone has their own gig - I personally like using nightcrawlers which are bigger, fatter, and generally come in wonky colors. Leeches are not something I enjoy (there is a very long story involving a great deal of them). I don't use rubber or fake though because I am a cheapskate.

Esperahol

Yep. And the best time to gather up worms are after rainstorms. When the ground is wet and moist and the worms aren't that deep beneath the surface as they usually are.

Fog can work nearly as well for getting the worms out and about. Sometimes you can just scrape them all up into with no real trouble. Like a sort of carpet they are.

NickJ

Fog doesn't work for me though. I always worry that weirdo's come out on foggy nights. Fog allows for people with bad intentions to get the drop on ya. Especially if you live in an isolated area.

You are right. Worms tend to resurface when the soil is moist. You can actually gather them early morning just about when the fog clears out. Fog brings moisture early so you can take advantage of that. You can easily scrape worms by just a shallow dig.