• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

Do worms still work?

teamrose

Catfish love blood worms. The suckers are messy, but the fish simply love them. I hate using the worms, but fishing off the pier if you want big fat catfish, nothing beats a messy blood worm.

blackout23

Worms definitely work! Although they don't attract some types of fish as well as other bait I have definitely used worms to catch many fish this year alone!

teamrose

Sardines are great for bait. We fish close to shore and get big bottom feeders like carp and bass. Get some pinfish and watch the feeding frenzy.

NickJ

I have tried using sardines in the past and didn't do too well with them. Perhaps I was using the wrong brand or maybe the fish just weren't biting that day.

r. zimm

Garden worms in the ocean? Never tried that. The salt water would kill them I bet as soon as you cast them in. At least in fresh water they can stay alive for a while.

Esperahol

Catfish love blood worms. The suckers are messy, but the fish simply love them. I hate using the worms, but fishing off the pier if you want big fat catfish, nothing beats a messy blood worm.

Oh wah! I hate blood worms! Nightcrawlers sure, regular old earth worm? Why not? Blood worm? No. Just no.

r. zimm

Oh, I thought this was a "Sea Fishing" forum so I wanted to make sure we are talking now about fresh water fishing using worms. Whew!

teamrose

Well living in Ft Lauderdale we are surrounded by the ocean. We discussed fishing off the pier which is absolutely the best. But when people asked about fishing with worms, they just don't work well in the sea for me. The ocean fish really like fish. We give them minnows and shrimp. I think shore fishing is good with worms.

teamrose

They are snobs because they are soooo good. Nothing like fresh red snapper or dolphin to make my heart go pitter patter. Or is it correct to call the dolphin ahi.

irenen1

Shrimp is for eating up north. Seaworms are for fishing. They are dug up in sandy areas or caught by net at night. Sea worms have lots of feathery feet like a centipede and have pincers in their heads. These worms ae geat for catching ground dwellers like flounder.

Being a female, I was taught that to fish you need to be able to bait your own hook!

NickJ

Never used Sea Worms before. I might try them one day just to see what kind of catch they bring me.

irenen1

Shrimp are for eating up north. Sea worms are for bait. These worms are dug from the sand at low tide or caught in nets at night when they swim around. They have lots of fine ferny feet like a centipede and pincers in their heads. We use them to catch ground fish like flounder.

Being a female, I was taught that you have to be able to bait you own hook to fish!

BigBigFan

Worms work but fake worms last much longer and, in my opinion, let our little earth buddies keep doing their good work in the soil a little longer. Then again, the plastic worms are made with chemicals requiring oil and will still be around 100 years from now, somewhere. Do they make biodegradable worms yet? I'm sure they do, it's funny you never see them promoted as being green!