• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

Do worms still work?

Esperahol

Worms work but fake worms last much longer and, in my opinion, let our little earth buddies keep doing their good work in the soil a little longer. worms yet?
Think of it as Ecological Darwinism. All the stupid worms that manage to get caught really don't need to be in the gene pool and thus every one that I bait my hook week is a potential holdback being expunged. I am helping nature, also worms are like dirt cheap man.

NickJ

But if those worms happen to ingest toxic waste and become ginormous like in that movie "Food Of The Gods"? You're gonna be in trouble.:D

Esperahol

But if those worms happen to ingest toxic waste and become ginormous like in that movie "Food Of The Gods"? You're gonna be in trouble.:D

You'll never pin it on me. Besides which I already fed a couple of those to fishes - I was hoping for a swampthing situation. Sadly... sadly it did not occur. I am going to cry a little over that now.

B

bigal3

I normally use shrimp when I go fishing as bait but I am curious if anyone sill uses the garden variety worm to catch fish? Does that still work? Or have our fish friends wised up to it?
Yep, worms do still work. I live in Thailand and I have caught a fresh water variety of fish Thai fish with worms. They were small and I caught them to use them as bait for salt water fish.

sillylucy

Worms do still work. We dig them up and use them that day. Nightcrawlers work the best for us when in the ocean or fishing at the river near cousin's cabin. I think the fish in that area have wisen up when it comes to most lures.

NickJ

Fish must communicate, to warn other fish of the lures. Somehow worms escape them though. Probably because worms being in the water is normal. Compared to a plastic ball on a hook. That's highly suspicious to them.

teamrose

Worms work, but shrimp work so much better. The problem with using shrimp, is the high cost. Unless you catch the shrimp yourself, buying fresh shrimp can ruin a fishing trip if you don't catch something spectacular. It doesn't matter what sex you are, if you can't bait your own hook or remove, clean and scale your caught catch, you don't belong at the fishing hole. :)

NickJ

What kind of shrimp do you use? Live or dead? I have had success with simple shrimp bought from the supermarket for like a few bucks a pound.

teamrose

I prefer live shrimp. If you hook them on the tail they stay live longer and will do a little wiggle which is very attractive bait. If we don't have any fresh caught shrimp, then store bought shrimp will do, but I feel you might as well use artificial lures if you are going to use the dead fish. It could be I use so many lures because I can't stop buying them. I pick them up all the time at yard sales and flea markets.

Esperahol

Fish must communicate, to warn other fish of the lures. Somehow worms escape them though. Probably because worms being in the water is normal. Compared to a plastic ball on a hook. That's highly suspicious to them.

You make an excellent point, but people really do believe fish are stupid - and they are right to a point. Young fish are stupid, stupid creatures. Older fish are not - and that is why landing one of those monsters is always so exciting.

NickJ

Yeah. Some fish have been in lakes for years. They're the ones that gain legendary status and every season, folks come out there with the goal of catching them, and making a big hub bub about it. Sometimes, they do catch them. Other times, it becomes a "to be continued next season" situation.

teamrose

That's probably why Moby Dick is one of my all time favorite movies. If you can identify a truly worthy fighting fish opponent, it becomes almost a holy grail to catch that sucker. Some fish I do believe are sportsmen themselves. They enjoy the challenge of nibbling at the bait without getting caught. Letting you catch a good look at them before they dive or slither away, then pop up on their tail to taunt you. I've had it happen time and time again.

Gwydion

Your common garden earthworm will work, but marine worms like lugworm and ragworm are better, particularly if you're beach fishing, or even better fishing in estuary waters. You can easily collect marine worms by digging mud-flats on estuaries, but check the conservation status of those mud flats first.