• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

Fake shrimp

pilot2fly

Have you ever used fake shrimp on your line? We use a certain rig that smells just like real shrimp, and we don't have to go out and buy new shrimp every time we go fishing for things like flounder.

leyash

I've never used fake shrimp. I've heard that people have tried to use them, and they end up getting bitten apart. I suppose there could be some bigger ones that could be used, though.

pilot2fly

Yeah they sometimes do get bitten apart. The problem is that they're not that strong. When a fish comes to bite it and misses the hook, it takes half the bait with it.

See, that's unfortunate. It almost seems like it might be cheaper to purchase real shrimp.

For the most part, it is. But on the other hand, I can see why someone would take their chances with fake shrimp. Shrimp itself is pretty expensive. And the costs is slowly rising. If you want the fake ones to possibly last a little longer, what you can do is put a little coating on it to keep it together.

The fish won't break them as easily that way.

Jatelo2

So long as the risk is kept at minimum chance, there is nothing wrong with saving some cash after all. I think I'll look into these Fake Shrimps...

So long as the risk is kept at minimum chance, there is nothing wrong with saving some cash after all. I think I'll look into these Fake Shrimps...

Money is tight these days for a lot of people. So for fishers, fake shrimp has actually become more in demand due to the lower cost. Besides, real shrimp I'd rather cook and eat myself rather than give it to some other fish I may cook and eat anyway.

pilot2fly

You have a point there! There are also some shrimp lures that need to be scented with real shrimp, so it might be a lose/lose situation.

Jatelo2

I'd say that with the current financial constraints, it isn't counterfeit shrimps that people are going for...even a fake tackles if possible:) as long as fishing expenses are reduced to a minimum it doesn't matter, whether the equipment is fake or not!

leyash

I think most people prefer using the real thing because they feel like it lures the fish in better. I can definitely agree, but money wise it makes sense to use something that can be used over and over again, like fake lures.

streakanime

If I'm serious about catching something, I'm going to have to go with the real thing. Its true that fish tear apart fake shrimp and it does not always yield the best results. Plus, they are often more attracted to the smell of real/live bait. Just depends on your financial situation I guess. In some cases, it is easier or more affordable to use fake bait.

The only real disadvantage to fake shrimp is that you'll have to wait a little longer for bites. Truth be told though, if you're a fisher, you're used to long waits anyway. So it shouldn't be a big deal.

Esperahol

I actually have a tank where I breed live shrimp, the start-up wasn't too bad all things considered. I mean it saves in the long run certainly as far as bait. Really, I just don't like fake lures... it's sort of a superstitious sort of thing to be honest.

Jatelo2

I actually have a tank where I breed live shrimp, the start-up wasn't too bad all things considered. I mean it saves in the long run certainly as far as bait. Really, I just don't like fake lures... it's sort of a superstitious sort of thing to be honest.

From what I understand, you find it cheaper to go for the real shrimps in contrast to the fake ones..uuh? I think that hat view is also based on superstition:D. These fake shrimps can save a lot of money while they deleiver the catch like the real ones