• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

Fake shrimp

It's always better to use real bait to get a bigger and better catch.

Fake or real has no bearing on catching bigger or better fish. It only has bearing on your bait's durability. A.k.a, the breaking of the bait. Big or small, they'll go after it regardless.

Esperahol

From what I understand, you find it cheaper to go for the real shrimps in contrast to the fake ones..uuh? I think that hat view is also based on superstition:D. These fake shrimps can save a lot of money while they deleiver the catch like the real ones

I find it cheaper to use the shrimp I am breeding versus buying lots of new fake ones. I also said that I may be behaving in a supersitious manner. It is more costly to buy fake then use real ones I have raised myself for cents on the dollar.

You breed your own shrimp? Wow, I have to say, that never even remotely crossed my mind. I might have to look into that and do that for myself. Assuming I even have the capabilities to do so.

Jatelo2

Though I don't know the full details on how one is to breed their own shrimps, I believe one thing it does require is patience. And now that our friend is saying they are cheaper than buying fake shrimps; I think it is something worth trying.

Though I don't know the full details on how one is to breed their own shrimps, I believe one thing it does require is patience. And now that our friend is saying they are cheaper than buying fake shrimps; I think it is something worth trying.

If it requires patience, count me out. I'm patient enough sitting in that boat for hours. I can ill afford being patient on "raising" my bait too lol.

Besides, I'd end up cooking them and eating them myself after all that time.

Esperahol

You breed your own shrimp? Wow, I have to say, that never even remotely crossed my mind. I might have to look into that and do that for myself. Assuming I even have the capabilities to do so.

It isn't especially hard and you buy the start-up from various companies. Really the hardest thing is setting up the tank and keeping it decent.

I haven't tried fake shrimp and even real shrimp. What I use is just worms I could find backyard and it does magic. When I go fishing, I would always come home with a catch. So I guess worms are already enough to give me a successful day of fishing. I don't have to buy shrimp anymore.

Jatelo2

If it requires patience, count me out. I'm patient enough sitting in that boat for hours. I can ill afford being patient on "raising" my bait too lol.

Besides, I'd end up cooking them and eating them myself after all that time.

:DI think the proble is no longer patience...It is the appetite, right?

NickJ

It's like everything else. You just need a male shrimp and a female shrimp. And then a holding tank with an atmosphere that strongly mimics the usual water shrimp live in. So they can breed and live as long as possible.

Esperahol

But I actually make shrimp recipes a lot at home. So why waste food by giving it to "other food"?

Its the same difference as feeding pigs or cows or chickens - you're giving food to things you intend to eat, because you want a different sort of food. Really though the shrimp I'm using are more along the line of "junk" shrimp and so you really wouldn't want to eat them anyway.

Shelton Sellers

Fake shrimp are a waste of time and money in my opinion. Real shrimp are cheaper for the amount you will go through on your average trip.
Also, it just doesn't seem the appeal factor is there for the fish when the bait is fake.

Esperahol

Fake shrimp are a waste of time and money in my opinion. Real shrimp are cheaper for the amount you will go through on your average trip.
Also, it just doesn't seem the appeal factor is there for the fish when the bait is fake.

Funny enough it does seem at times that the fish no what the deal is and won't bite - I guess fear and suffering really do make everything taste better... for both humans and fish.

r. zimm

I think that the big draws on fake bait are availability and convenience. Many people do not have access to shops with live bait and you can keep the fake baits in zipper bags and use when you need to. Also a backup if using real bait in case you run out.

To answer your question, no I have not used them.