• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

Ice Fishing?

NickJ

Yeah but where's the fun in internet fishing? Besides, if you work up an appetite for fish internet fishing, there's no catch to clean and eat!

r. zimm

Hmm, I guess that is true but on the Internet you can catch anthing you want, don't have to deal with smelly bait, and when you are done you can pull any kind of fish you like right out of the freezer!

I really would rather do the "reel" thing but when it comes to ice fishing there's just no way to do it in the summer!

NickJ

Well everything fishing related has a certain odor to it in the summer. In fact, it's best to fish for your own fish in the Summer. Because that's when store-bought fish is least fresh.

ibanezer

I've never been ice fishing, but it's always been something I've wanted to do. The fact that you're in a heated shack on top of ice does put me on edge a bit, but I'm sure there's a safe way to go about doing it. I've got a cousin in Canada who is an avid ice fisher, I'm going to have to see if I can schedule a trip with him this winter.

Gift3d

....I think we speak at cross-purposes. I am saying that an eye should be kept on the temperature gauge because as that rises the chances of icebreak do as well. That doesn't mean there won't be thick ice - it just means it won't be stable ice. Which is how that group of ice fishers got caught out on one of the Great Lakes the other year or so. The ice was thick enough to hold them, but overall weak enough to break up into pieces.

People shouldnt be ice fishing on the great lakes Unless close to shore because the water never really settles. and what time of year was this? If it was close to spring it is their own fault. I've not heard of a case (around me) where someone fell through the ice mid-winter because the ice couldn't hold them.

Personally I don't even like takin my sled on the Lake superior just because of the fact that it is never settled water. always currents always a possibility of the ice breaking (yes I agree with you on that one)

Tomorrow I will take a pic of the water here to show you guys what I mean..

Its frozen but not enough

NickJ

so are northern united states winters.. I really hope you aren't from the states and saying that... Lol

I'm from New York City. We've actually had warm winters here for the past 3 years or so. Warm by January - March standards that is. Last winter, NOT A SINGLE SNOWSTORM! Go figure!

Gift3d

I'm from New York City. We've actually had warm winters here for the past 3 years or so. Warm by January - March standards that is. Last winter, NOT A SINGLE SNOWSTORM! Go figure!

Thats crazy, I'm from Ontario but was in Edmonton Alberta last winter.. No SNOW!!! came back to ontario in February, NO SNOW all the way until Ontario about 3 hours into the province there was like 5 feet of snow Lol.

It blew my mind that I was able to go out in a t shirt on a sunny day and it was almost like summer between september and february.

Esperahol

Gift3d,
you named your dog Xena? We are now friends fo-evah and stuff. But seriously I have gone out on ice like that - in my defense it was a drunken dare and I had no intention of fishing. Also I am an excellent swimmer even while wasted or something. Also I remember very little else of that night and/or week. It was a really fun vacation if the videos and pictures are anything to go by.

Gift3d

Lmao you're nuts, that's like 1 1/2" -2" thick there I would never trust that.

Is your dogs name xena too? Lol

NickJ

Thats crazy, I'm from Ontario but was in Edmonton Alberta last winter.. No SNOW!!! came back to ontario in February, NO SNOW all the way until Ontario about 3 hours into the province there was like 5 feet of snow Lol.

It blew my mind that I was able to go out in a t shirt on a sunny day and it was almost like summer between september and february.

Yeah the weather is getting crazy all across the world these days. Something has definitely changed.

Esperahol

Lmao you're nuts, that's like 1 1/2" -2" thick there I would never trust that.

Is your dogs name xena too? Lol

Drunken double-dare - loser pays the bar tab for the group. I am not paying upward of $230 for anyone. And I didn't even die or anything - I just sort of got a little soaked. And you just have to believe... and not be too far from shore. My dogs are Kratos, Mahalo, Warner, and Elijah. Mahalo is having puppies so I might still get a Xena or an Artemis.