• Welcome to the Sea Angling and Fishing community
    Register for free and talk about angling, fishing, boats and gear

What are the must haves for shore fishing?

Jatelo2

This is for those who enjoy shore fishing.

What tools would you consider irreplaceable when going for this type of fishing expedition. Why is this tool so important to you?

Thanks for your objective response.

For me personally there are five things that are must haves

1: a Multi Tool. If you don't know what this is, just think fishing version of the Swiss army knife.

2: a decent pair of sunglasses

3: a pair of scissors

4: Crimping styled pliers

5: a decent hook line.

I know those seem random, but those little accessories count.

NickJ

An IPOD. Fishing takes a lot of time and patience. Best to have something to occupy your time while you wait. Just make sure to keep the cords neatly pressed to your body and away from all fishing materials.

NickJ

This is true. I have yet to have that problem though. I also sometimes take my mp3 player with me. It's a tiny samsung. About the size of a stick of chewing gum. Gives off very little electro signal, especially when it's zipped and tucked away into the top pocket of my coat.

A must-have for everyone is PATIENCE! I think that above all, this is what we need because we know that the fishes will not gonna come to you like you're a magnet. Most of the time they will detect that someone is trying to catch them so you have to be patient on waiting to get a catch.

An IPOD. Fishing takes a lot of time and patience. Best to have something to occupy your time while you wait. Just make sure to keep the cords neatly pressed to your body and away from all fishing materials.

I never thought of this. I was thinking must haves in terms of fishing essentials. Not "me" essentials. And yes, some form of entertainment is needed lol

NickJ

LOL! Well I consider it an essential because I am not a very patient person. But as for fishing essentials lots of good bait, strong reels, and a cool fishing hat always work. Some food also. Peanut butter crackers are my food of choice on a fishing trip.

blackout23

LOL! Well I consider it an essential because I am not a very patient person. But as for fishing essentials lots of good bait, strong reels, and a cool fishing hat always work. Some food also. Peanut butter crackers are my food of choice on a fishing trip.

Food may be the most essential thing to bring. Well that and a portable massage chair (if available).

NickJ

Heh. I also think proper clothes are essentials as well. An under or overdressed fisherman won't have a good day of fishing.

This hasn't really been mentioned. Nor is it a vital "necessity". But honestly, having a second person may be helpful. Some of those fish are pretty tough to reel in on your own.

BigBigFan

I was thinking the same thing cross, not only can you use the company to swap stories with but when you land that record beach catch you need a witness, preferably one who won't mind stretching the truth too! Besides, it never hurts to have someone split the lunch tab with you and maybe carry the gear :)

r. zimm

The best reason to have a buddy with you is that if you need to take a "break" they can watch your gear. Around where I live stuff disappears quite rapidly and who has the money to replace good gear?

Plus the camaraderie as stated before.